Mobile QT Tank with Slide Out Sump

  • Thread starter Thread starter dbl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None
Really like it....well done! Just a side note, my brother I built a wood stand for my 125 glass tank several years ago (no longer have). Had a trickle filter underneath cabinet....it only took about a year, for front doors to start buckling due to humidity of sump. I would figure out a way to seal the inside of the tank stand to keep the wood from wicking moisture from your sump area....but overall....love the design, and how it works. :)
 
Thanks. Couldn't agree more with your concerns about the interior wood. I've built numerous stands now and always seal the wood. But in this case, I'm not overly concerned because it's a temporary usage situation. Quite honestly this will be stored in a closet the vast majority of the time.

But for anyone reading this, most definitely seal your wood interiors for longevity.
 
I had an idea very similar to this! Was going to do this with my first display tank. 45g tall with a 20g breeder...until I cracked (not shattered) the glass because I wasn't patient enough drilling it. Instead of buying a new overly priced tank I bought a bigger tank that came with the stand. So my "original" plan never panned out. I still may do it in the future!!
 
I certainly admire your ingenuity, but there's a skeptic lurking inside me - and I'm looking forward to a photo of your water filled sump fully extended...
 
I certainly admire your ingenuity, but there's a skeptic lurking inside me - and I'm looking forward to a photo of your water filled sump fully extended...

That is a photo you will be waiting to see for a very long time, because one will never be taken. That skeptic lurking inside you has a good instinct...LOL.

I mentioned this early on that this little slide out experiment is not necessary. Nor would it be safe to try to slide it out while the sump is full. It is for this reason the picture will never be taken!
 
So my bride is away, and I felt like making some sawdust. I told my pal Alex @143MPCo I was going to steal his mobile QT idea so he was warned. Another member @dragonfisher33 asked a question about a rolling sump design so I thought I would give it a shot also. So this is what I did this afternoon.

Designed for a 20g long QT tank with a 20g breeder for a sump (I already had both). I had wood left over from prior projects. I also had a set of casters. I did have to go to the orange store and grab some drawer slides. All else was already in stock! Four and a half hours later and I have a new rolling QT stand with slide out sump.

Last thing I have to do is figure out how I want to skin it. To stay with the "already have it" theme, I may do it in pallet wood since I have a bunch of it laying around.

The whole concept is I can roll the QT in when I need it, and roll it away when I'm done. I do not leave it up and running all the time and I don't have a fish room.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some pictures. Once finished, I guess it's time for a new tank mate. Maybe I should get it done before she gets back!!!

Here's the framing:





With the Decking and Pull-Out Sump Tray





Slide-Out Sump Tray



I'm building a stand for a 75 Aquion and want the same stand with no center bar. Figure 4x4s for legs and top and 2x4s for bracing on platform. And but a gravity fuge above it if possible. But since u have experience building stands. I know 1100 lbs is a bit diff then a 20g but any help is appreciated. I've made about 10 sketches with measurements and all like. Blueprint but I don't want any sagging and seam splitting. Was thinkn I could Xbrace the rear or it so the fronts open. Thanks. I've made 3 post but no responses.
 
i love the idea and the project but did want to add if you wanted the sump to move in and out you could always get the drawer slides that they use on like snap-on mac or tool boxes like that that will hold up to 200-300 pounds there not cheap but would work but that being said great job on the qt build very nice looking job on pluming and all
 
I love this idea! I have a few questions though. Why do you need a sump for a QT and all that plumbing? Why do you need a skimmer on a QT? Is this for corals or fish?
 
i love the idea and the project but did want to add if you wanted the sump to move in and out you could always get the drawer slides that they use on like snap-on mac or tool boxes like that that will hold up to 200-300 pounds there not cheap but would work but that being said great job on the qt build very nice looking job on pluming and all

Thanks for the kind words. The slides that I used are actually pretty beefy and can hold the weight easily. But honestly, I still don't think I'll feel comfortable pulling the sump out when full. I will know more once I get it wet.

I love this idea! I have a few questions though. Why do you need a sump for a QT and all that plumbing? Why do you need a skimmer on a QT? Is this for corals or fish?

The short answer is I do not NEED either a sump or skimmer on a QT. This all started as an experiment for another member to test the slide out sump idea. I've used the 20g as a QT many times with a simple hang on back filter that was seeded by my main display tank. But since I was building this mobile cart I figured I would incorporate the sump to hide all the equipment. And the added water volume never hurts, right? The skimmer can be used or not, depending on what I'm doing. This mobile cart will also be utilized as a frag tank as well, so I have options. Actually it will be used as a frag tank first as I'm getting ready to tear apart my main system to remove some rouge RBTA's. In the process, I'm sure I will be accidentally fragging a lot of things!

I don't have a fish room so this is built to be more like a display piece since it will be out in the open while in use. I have someone very special to me I want to keep happy!!!
 
Love the idea. Can you give Info/pics on what casters you used.
 
Gotcha. That's cool. I hope you test it in the garage with water on the slide out sump. Hope the weight holds. I've been thinking of the slide out idea forever. But in my mind it would be like those gurneys they use in ambulances, the wheels automatically fold out when you pull it out, or tuck into place when you're sliding it back.
 
sick work Man, looks great

Looks good! Not bad at all

Thank you both...I appreciate the comments.

I'm building a stand for a 75 Aquion and want the same stand with no center bar. Figure 4x4s for legs and top and 2x4s for bracing on platform. And but a gravity fuge above it if possible. But since u have experience building stands. I know 1100 lbs is a bit diff then a 20g but any help is appreciated. I've made about 10 sketches with measurements and all like. Blueprint but I don't want any sagging and seam splitting. Was thinkn I could Xbrace the rear or it so the fronts open. Thanks. I've made 3 post but no responses.

I sent you a PM.
 
Love the idea. Can you give Info/pics on what casters you used.

No specific details because I had them from a prior project used on something far heavier than this project. What I do know is they are a 4" swivel and lockable caster. If my memory serves they have a 225 pound load rating per caster. I bought them several years ago at the big orange store.
 
There's a small problem...its just wrong to make your QT tank nicer than my DT

Seriously, super nice job.

Great name by the way.

Dave
 
There's a small problem...its just wrong to make your QT tank nicer than my DT

Seriously, super nice job.

Great name by the way.

Dave

Thank you Dave.
 
Well, it's wet and running. Filled it up with frags created tearing my 120g apart today. I served eviction notices to three rouge RBTA's and did some accidental fragging. At least I know it works!

 
So my bride is away, and I felt like making some sawdust. I told my pal Alex @143MPCo I was going to steal his mobile QT idea so he was warned. Another member @dragonfisher33 asked a question about a rolling sump design so I thought I would give it a shot also. So this is what I did this afternoon.

Designed for a 20g long QT tank with a 20g breeder for a sump (I already had both). I had wood left over from prior projects. I also had a set of casters. I did have to go to the orange store and grab some drawer slides. All else was already in stock! Four and a half hours later and I have a new rolling QT stand with slide out sump.

Last thing I have to do is figure out how I want to skin it. To stay with the "already have it" theme, I may do it in pallet wood since I have a bunch of it laying around.

The whole concept is I can roll the QT in when I need it, and roll it away when I'm done. I do not leave it up and running all the time and I don't have a fish room.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some pictures. Once finished, I guess it's time for a new tank mate. Maybe I should get it done before she gets back!!!

Here's the framing:





With the Decking and Pull-Out Sump Tray





Slide-Out Sump Tray



 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top