Monti Cap Fade to white spot

Justin Thain

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
74
Reaction score
34
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a37b473c4415f1821753dc5f27ea114b.jpg
a37b473c4415f1821753dc5f27ea114b.jpg


I have this monti cap in my tank, which as been hanging below halfway on a 150 gallon tall tank. It's been in my tank for about a week. Any ideas to what might cause this. I really don't believe it's due to lighting/bleaching since I have my radions at about 60% intensity.

Could not enough flow cause this?

Parameter
8 Dkh
430 calcium
1400 mag
0.05 phosphate
15 nitrate

Thoughts?
 
Honestly (its been a while since I had sps though..) It looks like a thumb-print from when whomever sold it glued it to the plug. Pushed a little too hard.
 
I've seen similar issues when Monti caps are on a frag rack and if there is any salt creep right above it on the rim of the tank. If some happens to fall down through the water column directly on the Monti it will burn the tissue a bit. Usually they bounce back in a week or two since they are fast growers. Don't know if this is the case with yours but wanted to throw it out there.
 
Is your Alk consistanly 8, meaning have you had and swings?
The monti could have been conditioned to lower light than it is currently. What is your Lux at the water surface, (assuming no PAR meter).

I've bleached a few montis both cap and encrusting from too much light intensity and it most certainly can begin "randomly," on the coral.

Once your lights are out for about an hour, take a flashlight and look for monti eating nudis. Google first so you know what your looking for. They are unmistakable white fluffy devil spawn!!! :mad:

I think these three things are the most likely assuming everything else is looking fine in tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top