Mounting corals side by side to produce a stronger base!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12,610
Location
ARIZONA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks back, I purchased a Pink Birds Nest frag.
I liked it so much I went back 2 days ago and bought 2 more. I mounted them on the same rock about an inch apart.
I was thinking that as soon as they touch, they will fuse together seamlessly thus creating a stronger two coral base.
These corals look great. Looking forward to seeing them grow together.

Anyone intentionally mount this way?

IMG_5563.jpeg
 
IIRC that’s an old trick but I thought the approach was to mount multiple pieces / frags of the same coral on their side near each other so they’d encrust and touch. Likely wouldn’t really matter maybe others can weigh in.
 
A few weeks back, I purchased a Pink Birds Nest frag.
I liked it so much I went back 2 days ago and bought 2 more. I mounted them on the same rock about an inch apart.
I was thinking that as soon as they touch, they will fuse together seamlessly thus creating a stronger two coral base.
These corals look great. Looking forward to seeing them grow together.

Anyone intentionally mount this way?

IMG_5563.jpeg
If they are the same Coral yes they will come and grow together.

I think that trick was more of getting it to grow and base out faster. Not really to grow a larger colony.
 
Birds nests don’t really encrust much anyway. They grow outward, not down to the rocks.
 
If they are the same Coral yes they will come and grow together.

I think that trick was more of getting it to grow and base out faster. Not really to grow a larger colony.
Right, purchased them at LE Corals in Phoenix. (IMO best corals in Az.) Was told the mother colony was the size of a soccer ball. “She will live on” lol
 
A few weeks back, I purchased a Pink Birds Nest frag.
I liked it so much I went back 2 days ago and bought 2 more. I mounted them on the same rock about an inch apart.
I was thinking that as soon as they touch, they will fuse together seamlessly thus creating a stronger two coral base.
These corals look great. Looking forward to seeing them grow together.

Anyone intentionally mount this way?

IMG_5563.jpeg
Hope it worked. ..& curious.. update?
Hoping it now too is a soccer ball..
.. in 5+ year old tank! :)
 
Hope it worked. ..& curious.. update?
Hoping it now too is a soccer ball..
.. in 5+ year old tank! :)

Hope it worked. ..& curious.. update?
Hoping it now too is a soccer ball..
.. in 5+ year old tank! :)
Will definitely post an update when these two reunite as one. But they’re looking good!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top