Mr. Bobbitt worm come out and play!

I helped a club member break down his tank several months back and when I got home with a couple of buckets with rock in it, I opened the one and there was a foot and a half long rainbow Eunice on top. Not what I would have like to have seen. I would still rather sea a Bobbit or Eunice over some of those sea spiders any day.
 
There are over 350 species that belongs to the genus of Eunice. The ones that have the giant jaws specifically referred to as the Bobbit Worm, these are from the Indo Pacific region. The name was given by Dr. Terry Gosliner/Gary Williams and put into their book back in 1996 when he captured and photographed one in the wild.
D39507D8-35D2-4F33-825E-DEB40B5BD374.jpeg


Here are the species of Eunice listed on WORMS.
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=129278

So in my mind until the 350 species are gone through with a fine tooth comb, we are going to continue to refer to most all Eunice sp. as a Bobbit Worm. To me, thats fine. We commonly generalize many kinds of animals in this hobby, and thats how I see Bobbit.
 
Bobbit is to “big creepy segmented round worm with tentacles and voracious apatite”, as pods are to “tiny shrimp like crustacean found in your system”.

Yeah, something like that lol.
 
There are over 350 species that belongs to the genus of Eunice. The ones that have the giant jaws specifically referred to as the Bobbit Worm, these are from the Indo Pacific region. The name was given by Dr. Terry Gosliner/Gary Williams and put into their book back in 1996 when he captured and photographed one in the wild.
D39507D8-35D2-4F33-825E-DEB40B5BD374.jpeg


Here are the species of Eunice listed on WORMS.
http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=129278

So in my mind until the 350 species are gone through with a fine tooth comb, we are going to continue to refer to most all Eunice sp. as a Bobbit Worm. To me, thats fine. We commonly generalize many kinds of animals in this hobby, and thats how I see Bobbit.
Very informative, thank you for posting that!
Sums up this thread

lol
 
someone please tell me why I keep coming back & watching the clips .

I can't stop wondering how big they get in the deep dark depths of the unexplored
oceans !
 
The clip where one takes the stone/scorpion fish was on UK sky the other night along with the puffer and guy said the fish die from all the sand blocking up the gills so the fish drowns in sand. They serve no useful service and seem to be getting more and more common.
Fire bomb them!!!
 
Thanks all, I have an extra day off work to finish a re scape.
... where the hell am I going to get a stainless steel gauntlet at short notice! ;)
 
Thanks all, I have an extra day off work to finish a re scape.
... where the hell am I going to get a stainless steel gauntlet at short notice! ;)
How’s the rescape going? :rolleyes:
 
Hop

Hopefully lol thankyou. 2 seconds too late seems to be my specialty " ooh man i wish you couldve asked earlier i just flushed it down the toilet"

Why do you want that even in your sump?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top