Multiple species of mandarin in the same tank?

Docpayne

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Clayton, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a spotted mandarin that I've had for over a year now that has done fantastic in my 75 gallon. She eats everything and anything I put in front of her and has stayed very fat for me. I've recently seen a beautiful healthy male red mandarin at the fish store that is already eating mysis. I'm not worried about food since even with my current mandarin there are still tons of pods in my tank and my fuge. I'm wondering if the two species will get along or possibly fight until someone is dead or badly injured? I don't want to do anything that will compromise my spotted mandarin but I'd love to be able to keep both. Hoping someone has had experience with multiple dragonettes in the same tank.
 
That would be pretty however you can only have 1! They will fight to the death
 
That was what I feared. The last thing I'd want to do is risk the health of my current fish or any new comer. Guess it'll be a good excuse to have another reef tank!:)
 
That was what I feared. The last thing I'd want to do is risk the health of my current fish or any new comer. Guess it'll be a good excuse to have another reef tank!:)

I agree that it is best to have just one especially in a 75 (or a pair). It's the perfect excuse for another tank. :bounce:
 
I have a female red dragonet and a male bullseye dragonet in the same 55gallon for over a month now and they don't even look at eachother. If I can get a good picture for you I will
 
I have a psychedelic mandarin I tried to add a green mandarin about 3x the size and the lil pshyco kept attacking so I had to move to sump. This is in 180 6x2x2. So id say don't do it or be prepared to scoop it out

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
 
Which one is bigger? That might be a better question. Both of mine are the same size. That might be why they don't fight.
 
I have a 2" Spotted Mandarin. I added a 4" Giant Green Mandarin. No issues for 6+ months. Recently (month ago) and a small (under 3") Red Mandarin. The green chases the red occasionally, but it is not constant. All the mandarins are fat and have full fins. Granted I have a 400g tank, with a ton of live rock.... So I have a bit of an advantage. But it seems to be working.

Dave B
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top