Mushroom reaction to being partially buried

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2018
Messages
1,577
Reaction score
1,145
Location
Mobile, AL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen this before, but this has happened to different mushrooms in the past few months. So basically between my pistol shrimp and cucumber I have a constantly moving sand bed. A month ago a red one got covered and I did not notice in time. When I lifted the rock above the sand, one of the lower red mushrooms looked like it had almost completely dissolved. This morning one of my Saint Thomas mushrooms, the entire right side of it had done the same. I grabbed some of the pieces and I will try to frag it. In the past when I had a mushroom not get enough light it just lost it's color. Do I have a predator or is this just the mushroom being smothered with sand?
 
Howdy,

most likely the mushroom was starved of light and flow and shriveled. If you can isolate it into a little rubble or sand and keep some flow it should recover. They are pretty resilient.

I am not sure if cutting it would help. If it was big enough where you could frag it and get a few pieces than you may want to do that. Only if you know how and can get a few healthy frags out of it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top