My 90 Gal mixed reef from start to finish

FishGuyBri

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
473
Reaction score
408
Location
Ft Myers, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've decided to jump back into the hobby and it's been a while, so I'm going to document from day 0:
Picking up tomorrow:
90 gal Aqueon glass tank
LFS built stand
Eshopps R-200 Refugium sump
Reef Octopus INT 150 skimmer
Mag 7 pump
Megaflow overflow
Aquaillumination Hydra HD 26 x 2

I'm excited to also have on the way:
Spectrapure 6 stage chloramine removal RO/DI
Tunze Osmolator 3155 from BRS

Already on hand:
Hanna dKH checker and Calcium checker
TDS meter, pH monitor

Considering:
Apex Neptune tank controller... TBD
Cobalt Neotherm 150w x 2

Still a few more minors to fill out, but I'll update soon
 
Welcome back to the hobby and good luck with the new build. I'm a big advocate for the monitoring and automated controller systems, Apex or otherwise, so definitely give it some serious consideration. Awesome peace of mind too. Happy reefing!
 
So here are some of the goodies I picked up! So excited, but sad I still am waiting for the stand so I won't be setting up this weekend. I'm hoping Friday is the day!
IMG_0127.JPG
 
welcome back!! looks like you know whats up! lol

It does "look" like it, haha! I have an awesome LFS guy that has been really helpful and I've been watching every youtube video ever known to man. The BRS 52 weeks of saltwater tank build was incredibly helpful!
 
So. Got a few goodies today, the Apex, the Tunze Osmolator and the storage container. Problem is that I still don't have a stand!! It's taking forever to get the thing finished. Checking in with LFS tomorrow to see if it will be done by this weekend, I'm itching to get it set up. I DID, however, get my QT and all associated pieces set up, so I'm thinking of Bio-Spira to get it started since i will be QT'ing first fish while DT is cycling the el natural way. More to come
 
Hey set up is looking good
What's the dimensions of the tank if ur going sps u might want to add another light down the road
 
Hey set up is looking good
What's the dimensions of the tank if ur going sps u might want to add another light down the road
Thanks :)
48 long 18.5 wide 25.5 high. standard 90 gal. I am not 100% sure I'm going to go full SPS but we'll see.
 
Quarantine is set up. Pretty happy with the low cost, but I'll probably get a different heater (has a preset aqueon 78 degree only heater). The single blue led is a nice touch ;-)
IMG_1483747061.605905.jpg
 
Stand should be delivered today!! Finally! Now the fun (and mistakes) begin. Promise you won't laugh!!! Haha.
 
How do I safely break that little tab on the top of the pre installed overflow to let the return line through without breaking anything else?
 
Ok so I think I got it. I don't feel like the bulkheads are tight enough, but i'm going to go with what I have so far. Waiting for one more piece so I can finish return pump. PVC for drain is cut, dry fitted with a union. Return pump is black vinyl and I warned it and fit it all the way up on return barb with a nylon clip. I'm so nervous to put water in and turn the pump on and have a fountain instead of a return :-X. Will put pictures up on a few...
 
I'll finish the return plumping to the pump and the drain straight down tomorrow after I go to HD and find the PVC to ABS conversion glue/ weld stuff. I'm very happy with the stand but still nervous about that return pipe on the wet side. I just dont want to push any harder without enough support.
 
So now I'm trying to figure what to do. First time with pvc- but now I have about 1/2" short between pvc and sump. I'm trying to think of a way to raise my sump just a bit to make up the difference- also, my sump has to bulkheads but I don't see a point in using but one- what do you all think??
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top