My BTA was starting to split and now is closed up...Help!

Cfellini91

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2018
Messages
119
Reaction score
42
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Tip Rose anemone that I put in my 30g tank in the beginning of October and it’s been doing great! I went on vacation a couple weeks ago and got back last Tuesday. When I returned my tank was a out of balance. My sister over fed and everything was whacky:
Last Tuesday my parameters:
Ph 7.8
Alk 10
Phosphate 1.0
Nitrate 20
Calcium 380
Magnesium <2000
Salinity 1.025
Temp 79

I did a 10 gallon water change over a three day period and have balanced everything out and since Saturday my parameters have maintained at
PH 8.4
Alk 9
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1400
Salinity 1.024
Temp 73

From last Tuesday to Friday the BTA was moving all over the tank and I could see was splitting. As of Saturday the BTA has closed up and has maintained in the same location and barely has opened.
Here are pictures from before and after My vacation
110005627740f115aaddbb0587ae9fcb.jpg
125d0f153b5e7106d20ead9c293a51cc.jpg
facc85afb26390718fed5d2d7dfa21de.jpg
 
Bubble tip looks fine. If it is going to split, it will know what to do better than anybody on here will.
I'd stop with the water changes and let the parameters be stable for a while. Keep your sister away from the tank except to look at it. :)
Welcome to R2R.
 
Pics look fine. You should try not to have such large temp swings. It’s not uncommon for a nem to close up and hide after splitting, which itself may be result of stress. I would give it a few days and see. I don’t think any of your params seem problematic unless there was an ammonia spike.
 
Hi, welcome to the forum! Did your BTA actually split? Because once they start they don't typically stop and it happens pretty quickly. Your nem looks healthy enough in those pix, given that it's had some considerable recent stress.
 
It has yet to spilt. I accidentally deleted the picture of what he is up to, but right now he is just closed up and opens up occasionally but won’t inflate. He hasn’t split yet. Where he is now is where my fire shrimp also hangs out, could the BTA stay closed because of the shrimp or...?
 
The fire shrimp probably isn't bothering it.

What did you see that told you it was splitting, or about to? Did an actual tear in the tissue appear?
 
It was a solid circle when I left. When I came back it’s body turned into a figure 8 shape and the base is getting wider. You can kind of see it in the picture next to the green hammer
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top