My first day of dosing neonitro

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 7, 2019
Messages
3,687
Reaction score
1,834
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today was my first day dosing neonitro to raise nitrate of 5ppm.

I changed water yesterday and tested it, Nitrate was at around 1 (Salifer) and phosphate was at .19 (Hanna)

Based on the instruction for my 120g with 30 sump, I dosed roughly a cupful and a half (7ml).

also, my new 73g tank has nothing but two corals was tested zero,so I dumped a cupful in as well.

now question, does it matter where you pour the neonitro? I poured it in the sump prior to two baffles of filter sponges.

How long did you have to dose before seeing any changes? I am planning on daily dosing and test after 24hours.
 
It doesn’t matter where you add it except away from organisms, and you can test as soon as it mixes in (might just be a few minutes unless you have an extended sump). Test 24 h later and it may be used up.
 
It doesn’t matter where you add it except away from organisms, and you can test as soon as it mixes in (might just be a few minutes unless you have an extended sump). Test 24 h later and it may be used up.
But let say my target is 5ppm, if I test right after dosing and yield 5ppm. At that point would I continue to dose daily and if so when do I stop?

After 24 hours, if it’s still 1ppm at least I still need to dose till my target is reach.

am I correct?
 
But let say my target is 5ppm, if I test right after dosing and yield 5ppm. At that point would I continue to dose daily and if so when do I stop?

After 24 hours, if it’s still 1ppm at least I still need to dose till my target is reach.

am I correct?

There's no way to hold it at a target unless you dose every few minutes, so it will vary from a low right before dosing to a high right after dosing

A reasonable target is 0-2 ppm before dosing and 2-5 or 10 ppm after dosing daily.
 
Update: my nitrate gone up to around 5ppm by neonitro. My feeding had been reduced from 3 cubes of mysis to two. My phosphate was at around .23. I have always been running carbon and a bit of gfo in the reactor 24/7.

Now, when should I turn my skimmer back on?
 
Why did you turn it off? To keep nitrate from being too low? if so, I'd turn it on now.
I turned it down because my nitrate was like 1. Now it’s around 5ppm after I dosed nitrate and phosphate is at around .23. 5 or under should be a good number for a mixed reef right? Will the skimmer be skim out too much to a point than I have to dose again?
 
I turned it down because my nitrate was like 1. Now it’s around 5ppm after I dosed nitrate and phosphate is at around .23. 5 or under should be a good number for a mixed reef right? Will the skimmer be skim out too much to a point than I have to dose again?

I'm not sure the skimmer is going to be a deciding factor in the need to dose again, but 2-10 ppm is good for a mixed reef, and dosing again is not unexpected. I would run the skimmer.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top