- Joined
- Jul 1, 2017
- Messages
- 32
- Reaction score
- 8
- What state or country do you live in
- New Hampshire
10 gallon tank
165 watt LED that is 10-20kk
1.5 hours of 55% blue light; 9 hours 60% white w/ 55% blue; 1.5 hours blue
run 40-50x tank flow with opposing power heads (cheap no name), one powering down at night to further alternate flow.
I feed 1-2x weekly, more 2x now that my other soft corals are exploding.
1 fish, 1 shrimp, 4 hermits, 4 snails
30 gallon skimmer
Chemipure blue
Formerly ran GFO, now do not after reading more about phosphates
RODI top offs and reef crystals
Salinity: .25
Phosphate: 0 for now
Nitrates: 0 from API liquid
Calcium: ~450
DKH: 7 - seems low
This is my first SPS, although I have been keeping star polyps, zoanthids, and gsp in my 10 gallon tank. When I got my monti he had a bleached spot in the middle, which I just assumed was related to the tank full of LPS he was in and got stung. I added him to the bottom of my tank and he polyped out pretty well but not great, the bleached spot had some polyps. Left for 2 days and there were fewer polyps on the white spot. Moved to upper 4" of tank and took a pic after a day(today) and removed GFO after consideration.
I think he looks better, but why would adding more light help bleaching? My thought was he wasn't getting enough (I have a full screen top between him and the light) and couldn't recover from his stress. I also removed my GFO now that I will be stepping up my water changes anyway. I read this may be common with GFO, but I understand it effects how they build, not survive, and this symptom often shows up after years in a tank, not days. The middle right piece that has actually filled in a little is where it started, and the rest of it showed up a couple days after arrival although the polyps were not out on them. Are the polyps promising, or indifferent? Is there anything else I can do to help it? Is this normal for acclimation or is it unusually angry at me? No sign of nudis anywhere.
165 watt LED that is 10-20kk
1.5 hours of 55% blue light; 9 hours 60% white w/ 55% blue; 1.5 hours blue
run 40-50x tank flow with opposing power heads (cheap no name), one powering down at night to further alternate flow.
I feed 1-2x weekly, more 2x now that my other soft corals are exploding.
1 fish, 1 shrimp, 4 hermits, 4 snails
30 gallon skimmer
Chemipure blue
Formerly ran GFO, now do not after reading more about phosphates
RODI top offs and reef crystals
Salinity: .25
Phosphate: 0 for now
Nitrates: 0 from API liquid
Calcium: ~450
DKH: 7 - seems low
This is my first SPS, although I have been keeping star polyps, zoanthids, and gsp in my 10 gallon tank. When I got my monti he had a bleached spot in the middle, which I just assumed was related to the tank full of LPS he was in and got stung. I added him to the bottom of my tank and he polyped out pretty well but not great, the bleached spot had some polyps. Left for 2 days and there were fewer polyps on the white spot. Moved to upper 4" of tank and took a pic after a day(today) and removed GFO after consideration.
I think he looks better, but why would adding more light help bleaching? My thought was he wasn't getting enough (I have a full screen top between him and the light) and couldn't recover from his stress. I also removed my GFO now that I will be stepping up my water changes anyway. I read this may be common with GFO, but I understand it effects how they build, not survive, and this symptom often shows up after years in a tank, not days. The middle right piece that has actually filled in a little is where it started, and the rest of it showed up a couple days after arrival although the polyps were not out on them. Are the polyps promising, or indifferent? Is there anything else I can do to help it? Is this normal for acclimation or is it unusually angry at me? No sign of nudis anywhere.

