My juicy fruit (palawanensis) having a hard time

sam.veilleux30

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2018
Messages
586
Reaction score
1,188
Location
Otterburn park, Qc
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my frag of juicy fruit is starting to show skeleton on some places.
I wonder if people experience this kind of things with their palawanensis, if so what would you do to get them back in shape.

My other palawa is doing fine
No swings in parameters lately

Kh-7-7.5 dkh
Ca-420ppm
Mg-1400ppm
No3-5ppm
Po4-0.04ppm

First pic is under normal circonstances
Thanks

CC1E44F6-E1F2-4F37-BFC5-76EDEF6EF495.jpeg 53C8CB3B-A1A7-45F8-BBF9-E5E6DE112F81.jpeg A6B384BE-8F7F-446C-BC7A-7D9084558CD5.jpeg
 
Hi, my frag of juicy fruit is starting to show skeleton on some places.
I wonder if people experience this kind of things with their palawanensis, if so what would you do to get them back in shape.

My other palawa is doing fine
No swings in parameters lately

Kh-7-7.5 dkh
Ca-420ppm
Mg-1400ppm
No3-5ppm
Po4-0.04ppm

First pic is under normal circonstances
Thanks

CC1E44F6-E1F2-4F37-BFC5-76EDEF6EF495.jpeg 53C8CB3B-A1A7-45F8-BBF9-E5E6DE112F81.jpeg A6B384BE-8F7F-446C-BC7A-7D9084558CD5.jpeg
To me, that sounds like new growth (Usually it’s white then goes to the normal colour once the flesh has grown)
 
To me, that sounds like new growth (Usually it’s white then goes to the normal colour once the flesh has grown)
Thanks for the input, definetely not new growth.
Something caused this but i’m not sure what.
My pictures are not that good but i can see the bare skeleton.
At least it’s still alive, haven’t gone full rtn during the week-end.
 
Do you have it under enough light? The main thing that I see with these is that people think that they can do like 50 PAR or something way down low.
 
Do you have it under enough light? The main thing that I see with these is that people think that they can do like 50 PAR or something way down low.
It's a frag i have since mid may, slow growth but good health.
lost a few acros (colonies and frags) during the summer but the montis were fine all this time.

I'm keeping it at the same height than my other palawanensis, (lower 1/3 of the tank) i found out that more light tend to washed out the colors (in the other one at least, never tried different height with the juicy fruit).
Not sure if this could be bacterial, i did a dip in coral rx last week.
As i said it's less agressive as i thought it would be, there was some progression to the necrosis on the second day but nothing after that.
I will take a better picture tomorrow.

Here what it look like back in may
08BA722E-BC11-4BA3-9D3A-CCD9F9C433DF.jpeg
5F4A01AD-A0F2-4CEF-9D6B-D837900E1722.jpeg
 
I would look light. These can handle 1000 PAR of high quality light, although they hardly need it. Quality is as important as quantity. You cannot use the transitive property of equality with corals. Just because one Paw is OK, does not mean that another has the same needs. I would get these under some daylight and probably 250-300 PAR (slowly) if you have an idea of what your PAR is.
 
It's a frag i have since mid may, slow growth but good health.
lost a few acros (colonies and frags) during the summer but the montis were fine all this time.

I'm keeping it at the same height than my other palawanensis, (lower 1/3 of the tank) i found out that more light tend to washed out the colors (in the other one at least, never tried different height with the juicy fruit).
Not sure if this could be bacterial, i did a dip in coral rx last week.
As i said it's less agressive as i thought it would be, there was some progression to the necrosis on the second day but nothing after that.
I will take a better picture tomorrow.

Here what it look like back in may
08BA722E-BC11-4BA3-9D3A-CCD9F9C433DF.jpeg
5F4A01AD-A0F2-4CEF-9D6B-D837900E1722.jpeg
I recommend trying it higher up then gradually moving it back down
 
So, the little monti is still alive, higher in the display in case this was the reason.
Quite certain the culprit was low mg, the icp came back and it was 1267ppm instead of the 1400ppm i got with red sea.
 
So, the little monti is still alive, higher in the display in case this was the reason.
Quite certain the culprit was low mg, the icp came back and it was 1267ppm instead of the 1400ppm i got with red sea.
And what do you think is the relation between the two events (recovery and increasing magnesium)?

Don't you think dat the tip from JDA was the clue?
 
And what do you think is the relation between the two events (recovery and increasing magnesium)?

Don't you think dat the tip from JDA was the clue?
Nope, i let the frag for a while on the rack (less light) and it healed on it's own.
In the meantime i received the icp results and started to increase the mg.
I also have a sunset montipora that is doing better since.
The new higher place is just in case that it was light related but quite certain the old place was fine.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top