- Joined
- Feb 15, 2012
- Messages
- 4,735
- Reaction score
- 3,429
- What state or country do you live in
- Hawaii
I ran/run my halides and my T5s only for 12 months and used to turn on/off only once a day.Ok, thanks. My understanding, which is coming from internet research, not experience, is that while it shortens the absolute end of the bulb life, it doesnt affect the output. And if we are replacing bulbs at 9 months instead of when they actually blow out, then it probably wont be an issue cycling them an extra time per day.
Also, do most people run the T5s with the MH at the same time? I like the look of it with it all on together better. My plan is to run the t5's about 9 hrs per day and the MH for about 6 in the middle of it.
I used to run my halides about 6 hours a day max and the T5s between 8 and 10 hours a day. During the summer here the house gets very hot and then I had to slow down... I had a fan between the halides and the water surface, but no chiller back then. I believe most people run them together, that's why we call the T5 as supplements. Before the T5s we had VHOs as supplements. The actinic VHOs are so beautiful!!! Good times!!!!
I've got T5s only today over my 75gal. and run them 9 hours total. Love my T5s! It's running for almost 10 years over that particular system.
Just go slow now and take your time. The slower you go the less problems with algae and bleaching. Remember: halides are very strong lights!!! Very strong!
After your system gets in tune with the new light you'll never regret. Just work with it slow and make sure the temperature stays stable around 78° - 79°F if you can. If you need a chiller get one ASAP to really enjoy the system. Im happy for you! You can have any coral you want, after proper acclimation! They will grow fast and robust!!!
Grandis.

