My pearly wrasse is being a jerk

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 12, 2020
Messages
83
Reaction score
89
Location
Gig Harbor, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was a failing combination to begin with, but I got a pearly wrasse along with a bluesided fairy wrasse. I QT the two fish together in a small tank and they never squabbled (almost two months!). I added them together to the display (140 gal) with two other fish (first fish in the tank). All was well for the first two weeks in the display. Something must have switched because I noticed the pearly chasing the fairy wrasse to death. He was nearly hunting for the dude. Haven't seen the fairy wrasse in 3 days. Needless to say the pearly wrasse is coming out. Maybe I'm ranting, maybe I'm just wondering - why is it that these two fish could coexist just fine in much smaller space and have the "switch" happen?
 
You might as well leave the pearly wrasse, no? Damage is done at this point... Who knows with wrasses. I had a cleaner wrasse that was a model citizen for almost 2 years. Added a valentini puffer and he killed it within 2 days.
 
Maybe this was a failing combination to begin with, but I got a pearly wrasse along with a bluesided fairy wrasse. I QT the two fish together in a small tank and they never squabbled (almost two months!). I added them together to the display (140 gal) with two other fish (first fish in the tank). All was well for the first two weeks in the display. Something must have switched because I noticed the pearly chasing the fairy wrasse to death. He was nearly hunting for the dude. Haven't seen the fairy wrasse in 3 days. Needless to say the pearly wrasse is coming out. Maybe I'm ranting, maybe I'm just wondering - why is it that these two fish could coexist just fine in much smaller space and have the "switch" happen?
In a new tank, everything can change. Social hierarchy changes the most, also if you mean Halichoeres margaritaceus, these are a more boisterous wrasse from that genus. If it’s the pearly razorfish, Xyrichtys novacula, then these are known to not mix with peaceful wrasses - Best to go with boisterous wrasses like Halichoeres chloropterus, Gomphosus varius, Gomphosus caeruleus, (Novaculichthys taeniourus ect when dealing with wrasses like Xyrichthys or more boisterous Halichoeres (Don’t look at my wrasse gang haha).
 
In a new tank, everything can change. Social hierarchy changes the most, also if you mean Halichoeres margaritaceus, these are a more boisterous wrasse from that genus. If it’s the pearly razorfish, Xyrichtys novacula, then these are known to not mix with peaceful wrasses - Best to go with boisterous wrasses like Halichoeres chloropterus, Gomphosus varius, Gomphosus caeruleus, (Novaculichthys taeniourus ect when dealing with wrasses like Xyrichthys or more boisterous Halichoeres (Don’t look at my wrasse gang haha).

I can confirm he's a Halichoeres margaritaceus. Yeah he's probably been the most brave fish I've seen. Any tank I've transferred him to he's swimming around the moment he's in the water.
 
Well I got out the mini-hook and fished that guy out. Fed the tank and after not seeing the fairy wrasse for a week, he came out right away and started eating. He fins were all ripped to shreds but I think he'll recover.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 33
I can confirm he's a Halichoeres margaritaceus. Yeah he's probably been the most brave fish I've seen. Any tank I've transferred him to he's swimming around the moment he's in the water.
Yeah, larger Halichoeres are beautiful but they have a personality that is way too big for themselves sometimes! Anything like:
- Margaritaceus
- Chloropterus
- Hortulanus
Will have a big “personality”.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top