My SCWD broke, and I'm glad

  • Thread starter Thread starter gparr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
2,137
Reaction score
19
Location
NW Chicago Suburbs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a SCWD, the smaller one, on my 65 when I first set it up. I wanted to alter flow between the two returns and it seemed like the most economical way to achieve that. The tank is driven by a Mag 12. I keep the foam block on the pump to keep debris out of the return (yes I clean the foam regularly) and kept the SCWD clean. It broke the other day. Didn't even last a year.

Because it was requiring too much maintenance, I decided to replace it with piping and just have constant flow from both returns. I am absolutely shocked at how much more flow I'm getting. That SCWD was easily eating up half of the flow the Mag 12 generates. Unbelievable difference. Glad I got rid of that piece of junk.

Gary
 
Glad to hear you got it changed out tonight and found better flow without it!
 
And a big thanks to you for the fitting. Had to go to two places to get black vinyl hose and neither had the fitting. I would have been screwed. I also had to buy 10 ft. of black vinyl hose. I needed 6 in. Needless to say, if you ever need any 1-in. black vinyl, you know where to find it. "I'm sorry sir, we don't cut. You'll have to buy the entire 10 ft." Grrrrrrrrr!!
Gary
 
The 3/4 inch scwd in stock form has a lot of restriction, the openings are about 3/8 of an inch. But with that in mind, I like the one I have running right now. I did drill it out so it gets a lot more flow. But for the price it is still very good. Now if you had the 1 inch version, it will create a lot less restriction, and is easier to clean.

Kim
 
Thanks Kim. I liked mine, too, until it broke. Since I'd had it on the tank from day one, I never realized how much flow I was losing. The 1-in. version was not an option for me. Now that the SCWD is in the trash, I won't miss the maintenance and my corals are enjoying the extra flow.
Gary
 
Most disappointing is that the thing didn't even last a year before it broke. Not too impressive.
gary
 
It probably did'nt break, but rather jammed from debris. You can modify them for more flow.
 
Loose pieces and a chunking sound led me to believe it was broken. Thanks, though.
Gary
 
SCWD ? Sorry im not up on all my acronyms yet....Johnnie
 
Seahorse, you just summed up my luck with mechanical things.

Chopr: My apologies. I should have spelled that out. I hate when that happens to me and try not to do it to others. Swiching Current Water Director. Here's a link.
 
there like anything man made some last weeks months others I have had last years I've got two that are over two years old and never been cleaned lol.
 
Switching Current Water Device...(pronounced squid) is gear driven by the flow from your return pump -switches the current between 2 ports. As Gary said...it seriously limits the flow from the pump. I had one and didn't realize how much flow I lost until I got rid of it. I'm with Gary, best change I ever made to my tank.
 
Gary keeps a tip top clean tank ... there's no debris in his equipment!, trust me!

Every tank has some debris in it, there are 4 sets of tiny planetary gears in a SCWD that eneble the water pressure to have enough torque to turn the drum which switches the direction the water flows, it would'nt take much to jam them.

Here is what they look like.
ModsMedium.jpg
 
I understand that all tanks have debris in them, but Gary actually takes cleaning to the next level is all. He cleans his equipment weekly ... not just the water!
 
I understand that all tanks have debris in them, but Gary actually takes cleaning to the next level is all. He cleans his equipment weekly ... not just the water!

That still would'nt prevent a possibilty of something to get caught in the SCWD and jam it.

I'm not saying that is definately what hapened, but I bet over 90% of the SCWD's that stop working are because they get jammed, not broken. Many times a simply soaking in vinegar will get them working again and sometimes you need to cut them open to free the jammed piece.
 
The bottom line is, I maintain my equipment, something broke inside that unit (it was rattling), I replaced it with pipe, my flow doubled, my maintenance job list got reduced by one, my corals are happier, and I'm happier. I broke a rule when I purchased that unit. The rule is that if you can't easily dismantle it and clean it thoroughly, don't buy it. Eventually, something will go wrong and your only option will be to replace the piece of equipment. The lessons we learn.
Gary
 
The bottom line is, I maintain my equipment, something broke inside that unit (it was rattling), I replaced it with pipe, my flow doubled, my maintenance job list got reduced by one, my corals are happier, and I'm happier. I broke a rule when I purchased that unit. The rule is that if you can't easily dismantle it and clean it thoroughly, don't buy it. Eventually, something will go wrong and your only option will be to replace the piece of equipment. The lessons we learn.
Gary
I bought a JBJ Auto Top-off that didn't last 3 months and I know of a local that has had hers running for over 2 years now. The unpredictability of mechanical/electrical devices. :ah:
Glad you have more flow now. Your corals will thank you for it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top