Mysterious Paly found while snorkeling in Hawaii! Help!

I found these guys when I started reefing, didn’t have any frag plugs so I glued it on a piece of lava rock
 
i don't think i have even seen a piece of bubbly hawaiian live rock in the last 20 yrs i think they closed rock in 93
 
nice ,now the million dollar question ,how do i get one,i know million dollars LOL ,great find happy reefing
Laws in Hawaii are pretty strict. It’s hard to send corals. I’ll ask around then when I find a way I’ll contact you.
 
i was just kidding ,but if can and would ,so cool ,happy reefing
by the way im in southern illinois middle of the country its 9 degree rt now 2:20 am make me jealous what's temp there
 
i was just kidding ,but if can and would ,so cool ,happy reefing
by the way im in southern illinois middle of the country its 9 degree rt now 2:20 am make me jealous what's temp there
It’s 10:36 pm here Currently 72 degrees! Nice and cool right now
 
T
Here’s pictures of it in whiter light. Hopefully they do justice

1AC9B4D0-9ECD-4950-A4CE-B5095DEC6000.jpeg FE50321E-BAB5-49D7-A3B4-8047EBE84C88.jpeg 4B30D85C-0181-43D3-AFB0-D13AF6EE46C8.jpeg 0D31F771-DDAC-424B-BEFD-9D665C826F68.jpeg
Those are super nice! Hawaii always has the best looking palys for sure
 
sweet !
 
You c
What tide pools did you find them at?

Years ago you could find thousands and thousands of zoas at one of the boat marinas near Waikiki. Can't remember if it was the one closest to Waikiki or the one a little farther down closer to the down town district where they run some commercial stuff out of.
Maybe go have a look and see if they are still there. Can see them right on the rock that butts up to the side of the walls of the slips. If you could get permission to harvest those you would be in business.
 
they are toxic , and gorgeous . I counted the double rows of frill and we are waaaaay over 60 per polyp , be careful bro , but super nice run carbon at least.

Pardon my ignorance as I know absolutely nothing about zoas...but is that how you can tell toxicity, by the number of frills around the head?

I guess tonight I will be counting frills on the few different zoa colonies I have now....
 
So whats the chance of me getting my hands on one lol!
 
Found these on Oahu as well.

9B08918C-CCE6-41D1-AC41-34012AAAD146.jpeg CE70FC41-662C-4683-80CF-CA532FEE1F73.jpeg
 
Those are nuts man! First zoas you originally made the thread for are protopaly s and they look amazing would love to have em too guess I gotta make a trip to Hawaii !
 
yeah I found huge zoa colonies in some tide pools on oahu. What I thought was cool was that they were under a TON of flow and all opened completely up.
Happen to recall where? O.o can pm
 
Hey, so is it legal to take Zoas in Hawaii? I am on the big island right now and saw some really nice Zoas!! Would I be able to legally take a small amount? I heard they just cannot be on live rock since the rock is not legal to take.
 
90CA9ABB-F4E7-465E-A67E-5CA1BD2CC413.jpeg

Ace of Spades?
Disco Fro?
Clam Pearl Green?
Jellyfish Fever?
(Just suggestions)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top