Myth of the "reputable" LFS

pseudorand

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 29, 2019
Messages
641
Reaction score
439
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of supporting my LFS, but I think the idea that it's a good place to get fish is a myth.

First, check this video from tidal gardens, specific point #2 at 1:45. She claims LFS fish are more expensive because they QT for you. But after making quite a few phone calls and visit, I doubt any of them do.

Some were very upfront and said they watch fish for about 10 days before selling them. Others I could see the back of the store and they clearly had no place to QT. All of them said they could order things not in stock and would sell them to me right away.

I'm not saying LFSs are dishonest. No one told me they did the sort of extensive QT the many on R2R forums recommend. I'm saying the LFS business model increase rather than decrease risk to fish. As much as I like the convenience and then idea that I'm helping my new fish by having the pros choose reputable online vendors and doing shipping and unbagging the right way, I think I'm convinced the opposite is true.

Think about the business model: we all want to buy fish that live for years, but our tanks are only so big. If we got such mythical long-lived creatures where would LFS repeat business come from? I think they make it because:
- they kill a lot of fish, buy in bulk at a discount and flush the ones that don't make it.
- customers kill a lot of fish, figure out it's their fault (it probably is, this hobby is hard), and come back for more

LFS is just one more tank a fish is in where it can pick up a disease, and it's fundamentally a bad idea. They're not bad people, they don't have bad intentions, but I can't figure a way the business makes sense where LFS decreases rather than increases fish death.
 
Last edited:
LFS are like people. Some are good, some are OK and some are bad. You need to get to know the owner and staff. I wouldn't feel comfortable, or trust at all, an LFS that doesn't know me by name when I go in.
 
Unless you are buying fish from a breeder or a store that isolates captive bred fish completely all fish come from the same oceans. Not that I would ever trust someone else to QT my fish for me, but I really wouldn't trust them unless it was at least double normal retail price.
 
Ryan from BRS said he is getting his fish from a place that QT but also said he was paying 2 to 3 times the price for them, so yeah I tend to agree with the op, those that say they QT are probably only doing the bare minimum unless they say otherwise.
 
Each store is different. You can't generalize. My old LFS was great, two week minimum QT. Longer if you asked. Good variety. Reasonable pricing. He got a better offer and shut down his store. The new to me LFS I have now is definitely in the ok to bad side. But I have seen all kinds.

And some stores are better at fish and some are better at corals.
 
I wouldn't say that it is a myth than more of just days gone by. Today every lfs in my good size city of at least 10 of what I would call good size lfs; do not even run their corals, rocks, inverts, or macro in separate systems from fish. So you want to talk about qt. There is no conversation of compatibility or tank size, I see volitan lions, triggers, angels, and tangs bein sold for 40 breeders all the time. So I think that's enough for now, for there is more.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top