Nancy's DIY Anemone powerhead cover & overflow guard

reeftigergal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
165
Reaction score
366
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I had a very large beautiful GBTA that got ground up in my powerhead, wave maker.
Of course, never thought it would happen in my tank, so here is my DIY result.
I took the typical craft plastic mesh and zip ties to make the covers.
The overflow guard is same mesh pinned to my 32 cube center intake along with a long piece just pinned to the back wall of double intake to back cube system.
IMG_20180322_134055.jpg
IMG_20180322_134031.jpg
 
Nice work. Many ways to skin a cat in this silly hobby.
 
I've gotten even better,
I took my powerheads and cut black sponge sheets with a razor to about 1/4" thick, wrapped around powerheads in one stretched layer and added 2 black rubber bands to each one.
Works great, only a bit more maintenance.
If you love your anemones, like I do, it's well worth it.
Pics on request, Thanks for reading
 
Nice! I had a neon green haddoni take a walk and get ground up a little in my MP10. It rebounded, but man was that scary.
 
I've gotten even better,
I took my powerheads and cut black sponge sheets with a razor to about 1/4" thick, wrapped around powerheads in one stretched layer and added 2 black rubber bands to each one.
Works great, only a bit more maintenance.
If you love your anemones, like I do, it's well worth it.
Pics on request, Thanks for reading

Please don't post. I need to apparently edit my profile. I couldn't delete the post, only edit. Sorry for the trouble.
 
You can use panty hose to make cover. If they still sell them.
 
How much does this affect the flow rate? I have an RBTA I'd rather not become sushi.
 
How much does this affect the flow rate? I have an RBTA I'd rather not become sushi.
A cover will reduce your flow rate. You will have to turn up your powerhead. How much ? Depends on the material. Any engineers out there?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top