Naoko's Wrasse - Cirrhilabrus naokoae

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Messages
4,881
Reaction score
12,270
Location
West Palm Beach, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had one of these. One of my LFS's has one for $60. So little information is available on them that I couldn't figure out if that was a good price or not and if it would be suitable in my 40-75 gallon upgrade I am planning to start this summer.

It was pretty small, probably 1.75-2 inches and I almost got it to keep in my Nuvo 20 for a few months until I set up a QT system at my new place. I loved the coloration and black fins and how unique it looked overall. I know the price at the LFS was a lot lower than some online prices, but the wide range of prices, and also lack of stock, told me that there hasn't really been a baseline established for this fish either.

Price really isn't as important as compatibility is for me. I currently have a lemon chromis, 2" longnose hawkfish, pink streak wrasse, and a randall's goby. I actually think my tank could use more fish since my corals have reacted somewhat poorly since I removed my clownfish pair and then got the wrasse and chromis. I already know I would need to put the lemon chromis in timeout (in tank breeder box) for about a week or so since it is the most aggressive thing in the tank.
 
This from Blue Zoo Aquatics

You are here: Home » Fish » Wrasses-Reef Safe » Naoko's Fairy Wrasse
spacer.gif


Noko_Fairy_Wrasse_ps.jpg

Naoko's Fairy Wrasse
quickfacts.gif

Scientific Name Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Reef Compatible Yes
Care Level Beginner
Minimum Tank Size 50 galllons gallons
Mature Size Unknown inches
Diet Carnivore
Range Eastern Indian Ocean
Size Class
0
view chart
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Curator's Note
This is "new" species that was first described in 2009. See our Species Spotlight article on C. naokoae.
spacer.gif

Description
Cirrhilabrus naokoae is a reef-associated, tropical wrasse from the eastern Indian Ocean, and it makes a fantastic aquarium fish. First described by Jack Randall and Dr. Hiroyuki Tanaka in January 2009, this is a fairly peaceful wrasse that is both active and hardy. It should do well with other fishes in a peaceful community reef or fish-only tank (especially other fairyt wrasses from the genus Cirrhilabrus). The female form is still undescribed, and no maximum adult size has yet been established. Most wrasses are known jumpers, and the wrasse ready aquarium should have a tight-fitting lid or eggcrate covering.
Diet
Though most wrasses are shy on initial introduction, they will become bold eaters and easily adjust to a captive diet. Feed a varied diet consisting of large chunks of meaty foods. These foods include krill, raw table shrimp, squid, clam, and mussel. It is also a good idea to occasionally supplement with some type of herbivore diet. This fish will learn to eat flake, pellet and other commercial foods.
 
They are aggressive for a fairy wrasse and may present problems for the pink streak wrasse.
My thoughts exactly.

Pretty species, but it needs a very large tank to not be a jerk.
 
I had one in my 265 (where it was the only fairy wrasse); have one in QT about to go into my 450. Needs space, is a HIGHLY motivated jumper, but is absolutely stunning.
 
I'd like one, but they can be jerks. I've seen them terrorizing other fairies in LFS. They are usually in a tank to themselves because of this. Very pretty fish tho. I think I'll stick with a C. rubeus instead. Similar coloring without the yellow band and less attitude.
 
I would look at a Pintail (C. Isosceles) for a tank that size.
Thanks for the suggestion! I definitely want a fairy wrasse in my next tank. I've never seen a pintail in person but I'll keep an eye out for one. Probably too expensive for my current area but I will be in South Florida soon with more high-end places to shop at, or order from.
 
I'd like one, but they can be jerks. I've seen them terrorizing other fairies in LFS. They are usually in a tank to themselves because of this. Very pretty fish tho. I think I'll stick with a C. rubeus instead. Similar coloring without the yellow band and less attitude.
They have this wrasse on LiveAquaria (It's actually on sale at the moment too...):

lg90080RubyLongfinFairyWrasse.jpg


But I also saw this picture:

cirrhilabrus-rubeus-770x488.jpg


Which picture is a more accurate depiction of this wrasse? I know liveaquaria is not the best picture taker on the internet, but they're pretty good about not doctoring images for WYSIWYG stuff. Or is one of these the initial phase and the other the terminal/super male phase?
 
Which picture is a more accurate depiction of this wrasse? I know liveaquaria is not the best picture taker on the internet, but they're pretty good about not doctoring images for WYSIWYG stuff.
The second is more representative; the first is displaying stress coloration (likely from being physically manipulated for the photo-taking process - not something to be concerned with. It's the "playing possum" camouflage, if you will.).
 
Fish colors will vary from specimen to specimen and also with general health and stress of a particular fish. The second picture would be more along the lines of a healthy stress free fish. The picture from LA is in a stressed state.
 
The second is more representative; the first is displaying stress coloration (likely from being physically manipulated for the photo-taking process - not something to be concerned with. It's the "playing possum" camouflage, if you will.).

Fish colors will vary from specimen to specimen and also with general health and stress of a particular fish. The second picture would be more along the lines of a healthy stress free fish. The picture from LA is in a stressed state.

LOL, what he said.
 
The second is more representative; the first is displaying stress coloration (likely from being physically manipulated for the photo-taking process - not something to be concerned with. It's the "playing possum" camouflage, if you will.).
Okay, thank you!
 
Assume the former and be thrilled if it's the latter ..... that's my glass-half-empty philosophy.
 
I have had one for about 6 months. It is in a 90 gallon. Mine has been a little skittish rather than bossy that I have noticed. But I have a sixline that absolutely keeps him in line. I also have a melanarus but I never see him taking an interest in the Naoko. I have gentler fish that are non aggressive usually and I have never noticed any aggression from him but again maybe it is because he is always avoiding trouble.
 
I don't find them to be that bad. I him in my 40 gal reef to fatten him up prior to release into DT. He is in this 40 gal with a pair of wild caught A. percula, a small Eight-line flasher Juvenile (only 1.5 inces) and a small China Wrasse (2 inches). The five fishes are doing well together. In a few weeks I will release all of them except the clowns into my DT 320 gal.
NaokoFairy2019062903.jpg
NaokoFairy2019062912.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top