Natural Reef Communities & the Aquarium Trade

But hobbyists can certainly help minimize our impact on wild reefs by simply supporting retailers, that support wholesalers, who support sustainable collection and mariculture. Simple steps like that would greatly reduce the influence anti-aquarium campaigns have over the general population.
I suspect that your timing is off. Right now MACNA is fight ill informed politicians who want to make much of our hobby illegal based on the recommendations of someone with an ax to grind. We are super sensitive to the suggestions that we are less concerned about the environment than our own hobby. We chose propagation over decimation, we chose to create reefs where oil companies have destroyed them, and we actively seek to bring breeding to full viability over harvesting. Many, if not most, of us are environmental activists in our own small ways. I would suggest contacting MACNA and discussing their reef renewal program with them.
These are the kinds of things that led my wife to choose this topic, and where the focus of the future presentations will be. We talked it over before she posted on here asking for help, and I knew that some feathers would be ruffled. I assure you, her intent is not to malign the hobby that we both love. We appreciate the help that we've received thus far.
 
There is no denying that taking live animals from the reef 'has an impact'. Anything we do, anywhere, 'has an impact' of some sort (can be what we term 'negative' or 'positive', based on our point of view). What is often not understood by the public at large is that pairs of fish and invertebrate species typically cast thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions of gametes into the water column that disperse in the currents and can cover hundreds of miles. If you remove a few fish from the reef, for example, the vacant nichs are quickly repopulated by one of the countless larvae floating around eagerly searching for a vacant spot.

'Live rock' is typically collected from the shallow back water zone, not chopped off a living reef. As a live rock collector, why would I want to go diving meters deep, chissel the rock, then have to transport the heavy material back to the dive boat or shore when I can just collect the pieces that the last typhoon tossed into the lagoon/shallows? This is why most live rock is often rather sparse, although much of what was on/in the rock does perish during transport. The exception would be 'farmed' live rock that is allowed to remain submerged at depth for a lengthy period of time before being harvested.

Extracting individual coral specimens *can* be descructive, depending on the species. The damage is usually small and locallized and the denuded location will soon be repopulated, again via drifting larvae, on a healthy reef.

We can discuss the reef hobby's impact on the reefs all day long, but it's kind of like focusing attention on the mouse in the corner and ignoring the other 800 lb. gorillas in the room (cement factory limestone useage and waste discharge, reef material used for construction materials, commecial and localized chemical and human sewage pollution, livestock industry runoff pollution, palm oil plantation and other industrys' fertilizer run-off, siltation caused by deforestation of the surrounding land, etc., etc.).
 
We can discuss the reef hobby's impact on the reefs all day long, but it's kind of like focusing attention on the mouse in the corner and ignoring the other 800 lb. gorillas in the room.
Great point, and I don't disagree with you. However, the framing of the problem is only really the first part of the presentation. The later parts will mostly be focusing on the positive efforts made by the hobby to contribute to the natural environment that we emulate in our living rooms.
 
I'll chime in here as a scientist well aware of the multitude of environmental problems of today (and also someone that spent many years in college, understanding the difference in completing an assignment).

One way you could stay to your thesis of the assignment is to suggest- yes other impacts may be much more detrimental to natural reef, pollution, fishing, cruise ships, etc. the hobby has both restoration efforts and detriments..."I am hear to discuss the detriments the hobby contributes."

The following are my thoughts/ suggestions, which may be things you have already thought about, but in any speach it is good to stay focused on the thesis.

Any time there is a market for any regulated business around harvesting naturally occuring things, there will be a black market associated. Just as "blood" diamonds get integrated into fully legal trade, so does excotic animals...SW trade, even though it has grown and evolved to a substantial and thriving market is still part of the excotic animal/ pets. They are only natually occuring in relatively small areas of the planet and must have very specific conditions to thrive in. A hug part of the detriment to the trade are the careless collectors and uniformed hobbiest who buy the species. However, the budget hobbiest (which includes myself) can also lay pray and contribute tot he problem.

Aqua-culture is the best way to sustain the hobby, but it is expensive which drives up the price of common species and therefore a customer may regard the price tag in the store over the sustainability of how the species got to the store in the first place. Many wild-caught species have a hard time surviving in captivity, they are removed from the wild to never contribute to the gene pool again, and they could also have been brought in illeagally or captured in a very harmful manner. The biggest problem, is that as a hobbiest, you have no idea how that species got to the store, and many rarely ask. We like to assume that the hobby is helping things, but are we, how many hobbiest ask, "where was this fish collected?, by whom?, do they have permits in that area?"....some of these questions the local fish store might not even know...they but there stuff online a lot of times just like everyone else... In my mind this is the biggest detriment, the unknown... they only way to fully know that there was minimal to no damage caused was to buy only aqua-cultured and that is expensive!

All of these points I think you could easily talk 15-20 min about...

Also, if you have follow up speaches, you may want to consider the points that you could easily argue the other way for and build strong speaches around those as well...in this case I think you are probably well informed about everything anyway (sounds like it at least), so just think ahead to which points also best fit your future speaches...

hope that helps!
 
I appreciate the help, everyone. Sorry for taking so long to reply. I pretty much stopped getting on the forum after my last post -- admittedly, I was a bit disheartened from the comments I received.

My speech is tomorrow and it's shaped up quite nicely...due to obligations in other classes I haven't gotten to put in the amount of time I would have liked but I am confident that it will be informative and unbiased.

Here's another question...I suspect @stunreefer might be familiar with this topic...
Does anyone know what happened to the Marine Aquarium Council (MAC)? I can't seem to find much of an internet footprint since 2010. Thanks in advance.
 
Unfortunately MAC has gone by the wayside... for now. It suffered in the same manner that the ORA mandarins did: ignorance prevailed. Most hobbyists are going to purchase livestock based on price alone.

If I'm sure of one thing, it's the hobby will be shut down sooner than later if something like MAC isn't reinstated. We need consistent data to provide outsiders questioning the industry. The animals deserve basic standards across the supply chain (collection, export, import, wholesale, retail) that right now do not exist. In every facet of the aforementioned chain there are people taking short cuts to keep price low at the cost of animals lives. Which of course is inexcusable.

There was a closed door round table session at MACNA last year where top industry individuals discussed the resurrection of MAC, or initiating something similar.

Aqua-culture is the best way to sustain the hobby, but it is expensive which drives up the price of common species and therefore a customer may regard the price tag in the store over the sustainability of how the species got to the store in the first place.
It took me a long time to wrap my mind around the fact that aquaculture is generally no better than a sustainably wild collected fish; in fact some conservation of wild reefs relies on wild collection of animals.

Who's the best breeder of fishes in the world? Who's the best coral farmer? Mother nature. The amount of fish raised in the ocean, and coral grown, obviously is much, much greater than anything we could ever hope to accomplish in captivity. The problem is getting them sustainably collected, and properly handled along the way.

If collectors target a specific area too frequently, and remove the the wrong size and/or sex of fish, that target area is likely to be devoid of target species pretty quickly. If collectors only target large males of say, a wrasse species, and a few smaller females, then we know the dominant female will change sex and continue to breed repopulating the target area quickly. Of course the same can be said with coral: remove a frag of a colony, not the colony, which will regrow quickly.

Small developing island nations rely on natural reefs as a source of income and food. If they're taught how to properly collect animals they will protect their source of income and food. If no one is purchasing their collected animals then they will be forced to find income in some other manner, which is going to be selling the fishes for food. Of course people want the bigger fishes, no matter the sex, which will generally lead to overfishing an area.

Many of these island nations have been mariculturing coral as well, which is another phenomenal way to aid in conserving wild reefs. Small frags are taken from parent colonies to be grown out in neighboring lagoons. Those frags are fragged, and so on...

Finally, [to my knowledge] none of the bills that have been brought to the table to ban the trade differentiates between wild collected, maricultured, or aquacultured animals. They're a blanket ban, making that clownfish bred in Michigan just as illegal as one imported from Bali.

Aquaculture in captivity has a very large carbon footprint compared to importing a fish. It is of course incredibly important, and should definitely be supported, but we cannot think of it as the only way :)
 
Rett Talbot would know more, but even though the leadership of MAC is defunct, many of the trained fishermen are still using their techniques.
 
Rett Talbot would know more, but even though the leadership of MAC is defunct, many of the trained fishermen are still using their techniques.
Correct, many collectors still use the techniques as they see the benefit in them. The problem is managing the animals the rest of the way. Many are very good at handling them, many are not.

And yes, Ret is the man :D I linked his website on the first page of this thread, although I don't believe it goes back far enough to cover anything regarding MAC.
 
Like to know how the speech went.
 
Hey everyone so a little update for you....

I was actually able to find a lot of sources on this particular topic which is great since I was worried I wouldn't.

I gave my speech last Wednesday...I did really well on it except for a couple of places in my delivery -- granted I had been up for about 16 hours at that point.
The body of my speech included a very brief history of the marine aquarium hobby...I had actually found a nice article on the history of the hobby (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rv/feature/). Spoiler alert, the craziest, saddest thing mentioned in there is how the living tissue on corals were scrubbed off so the skeletons could be used in display tanks as decoration *gulp*.

I also talked very briefly about CITES and MAC...

Another thing I mentioned were some problems in research (which was a requirement of this speech). In this section I included my fear of not being able to find enough information and the negative feedback/lack of awareness from fellow hobbyists.

I'll be giving another speech on this topic later this week but haven't pounded out the specifics yet.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top