Naturally low Nitrates and Chaeto receding. Live with it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Chris Villalobos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
384
Reaction score
251
Location
Boise, ID, USA
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I have grown Chaeto successfully in my tank when it was young and NO3 was spiking, but now that the tank is more mature it seems to export Nitrates very efficiently without Chaeto. Even with an extra feeding in the middle of the day and Reef Chili added to the evening feeding the tank seems to stay at around 2 to 4 ppm measurable Nitrate. I added Chaeto on three occasions recently and every time it just seemed to recede to nothing.

I currently do not run a skimmer or filter socks and my NO3 is still at 2-4 ppm but my PO4 does rise without GFO.

I’m considering just giving up on macro algae right now. What is Triton’s response to this issue?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top