Need help to decide on what tank to start with !!

No matter what size, you will still have the same issues. If you can get a larger tank, it is easier to maintain than a smaller tank, believe it or not -- especially for a beginner. But a 3' tank, 65 gallon should look gorgeous and I'm anxious to see what you decide. You will be able to do more with a deeper tank vs a narrow one. This forum is willing to help out when we can. Welcome! I'm glad you joined us!
Creature hi.gif
Curious to hear why a smaller tank is harder to maintain than a a larger tank?

In terms of physical tank husbandry this does not make sense to me. My first ever tank was a 20gal and it was and still is not difficult to maintain and takes less time overall than a larger tank due solely to the size. It’s no overly deep and has less square footage to clean. Water changes are a breeze in a single 5 gallon bucket, no need for large tubs or anything of that nature.

If you are talking about the ability to maintain stable tank parameters then I would agree the larger water volume would be easier to buffer against change but I would disagree with the overarching sentiment.
 
Curious to hear why a smaller tank is harder to maintain than a a larger tank?

In terms of physical tank husbandry this does not make sense to me. My first ever tank was a 20gal and it was and still is not difficult to maintain and takes less time overall than a larger tank due solely to the size. It’s no overly deep and has less square footage to clean. Water changes are a breeze in a single 5 gallon bucket, no need for large tubs or anything of that nature.

If you are talking about the ability to maintain stable tank parameters then I would agree the larger water volume would be easier to buffer against change but I would disagree with the overarching sentiment.
Yes, I was referring to maintaining stable tank parameters and keeping the animals alive. I have no doubt that you had a successful 20gal tank -- many do it with an 8 gallon tank. I kept a 15 gal reef myself at one time. But water parameters can take a turn for the worse more quickly the smaller the tank is. That was all that I was referring to.
 
if you want another 36" ready to go tank the waterbox 70.3 would be one to consider alongside the RSR 250. The waterbox gives more volume in the same width. Many people seem to recommend going larger for a first tank, and I agree it allows more of a buffer to swings in tank chemistry, but also comes with a higher startup cost. I personally started with, and am still using, an IM fusion 20 which is an AIO tank and I love it! Granted it limits the fish you can have, and how much coral you can pack in there, but maintenance is a breeze!

What's the display volume of a waterbox 70.3?
 
I see so I need my space around my tank looks like I am going to struggle with the space I have. And it's the only place I can have the setup

Peter, looking at your comments and your first instinct, I think the Red Sea Max E would be a great choice for you. Go with it.
 
Yes, I was referring to maintaining stable tank parameters and keeping the animals alive. I have no doubt that you had a successful 20gal tank -- many do it with an 8 gallon tank. I kept a 15 gal reef myself at one time. But water parameters can take a turn for the worse more quickly the smaller the tank is. That was all that I was referring to.
Thanks for the clarification! Yes you are absolutely right on the faster parameter swings. I think though with proper parameter testing (especially for a young tank) and good husbandry smaller tanks can be easier both financially and personal time.

All that being said I am looking to get a bigger tank! ;Woot Still love my nano though
 
I see so I need my space around my tank looks like I am going to struggle with the space I have. And it's the only place I can have the setup
It can be done. Don't mean to discourage. People have in-wall tanks with no side or rear access. All things being equal is all, it's nice to have a little space. 65g is not a big tank, but it's big enough that you'll have some big-tank equipment... a full sized siphon, two bucket water changes, a sizable ato reservoir, lots of test kits, eventually dosing supplies.

You also need to have room for acclimating fish, mounting corals, cooking aptasia off of rocks with a propane torch (maybe that's just me.. lol) ... all that good stuff. Point being, all that is much harder if the tank is in a small decorative nook... especially a carpeted one not near a flat surface or running water.
 
He is right about a full blown reef. I have a 65rr. With 2mp 40, vectra m2, radion g4 all controlled by reefkink with full customization,gfo,diy auto top off. Reef octopus 110 skimmer. All can be used for a upgrade later.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top