Need help with sps ! No growth bad color !

brother if you can do you have another tank to set up? you have enought to stock 2 tanks in that one. split it up if possible. also hows the flow in that tank?

I agree with this, and with all the other advice you have gotten, your tank is all over the place and needs some salability. I would start with tanking half of the rock you have in that tank out of it, that is why Touring asked you about the flow in your tank. Its hard to get good flow with that much rock in your tank and it is most likely contributing to your need to run Chmi Clean in your tank. You also need to plan on replacing your light bulbs every 7 months or get LED lights. I don't know how often you test you Alk. and Calcium, you need to be testing every other day and dose accordingly. JMO raise you Alk. target number up to 8 and Calcium up to 440 or 450 and take your time getting to these target numbers.
 
I agree with this, and with all the other advice you have gotten, your tank is all over the place and needs some salability. I would start with tanking half of the rock you have in that tank out of it, that is why Touring asked you about the flow in your tank. Its hard to get good flow with that much rock in your tank and it is most likely contributing to your need to run Chmi Clean in your tank. You also need to plan on replacing your light bulbs every 7 months or get LED lights. I don't know how often you test you Alk. and Calcium, you need to be testing every other day and dose accordingly. JMO raise you Alk. target number up to 8 and Calcium up to 440 or 450 and take your time getting to these target numbers.

The reason I have much rock is I can get corals closer the light because it's only a 4 bulb light fixture . Il start testing every other
 
I'm not an expert on sps by any means but from what I know all the info above is pretty accurate!
I would also suggest a doser along with the new lights, with that much sps in such a small volume I can imagine they are depleting what they need rapidly.
If you want to see long term growth you're going to need stability in every dept light, nutrients and flow. I also belive you'll like the minimalistic approach when your sps do start growing once you get everything else in check they won't have room to grow with all those rocks!
 
What kind of fixture is it?, also it your light isn't strong enough they will brown very quickly. I would suggest testing your alk every day and get a good idea of what it consumes. Also what are your phosphates and nitrates sorry if you already listed that.
 
It's a odyssea 4 bulb . That read 0 buts a crappy test kit . I plain on getting a Hanna checker this week . I was thinking of upgrading to a 40g breeder or 60g as Am getting bigger lights anyways . I Have a tank I can is as a sump and a pump . What do u guys think of that , would it be a lot of stress on the corals ?
 
The reason I have much rock is I can get corals closer the light because it's only a 4 bulb light fixture . Il start testing every other

I have a couple of acrylic shelf's in my tank that I have several pieces of the bigger live rock pieces sitting on. I have them placed at the back of my tank, so they really can't be seen. They serve two purposes, get my rock closer to my lighting, and they open up my aqua scape under the rock scape allowing good flow through out my aqua scape. I make up for having less rock in the display tank by adding a few pieces of rock in my sump tank. Adding the rock to the sump can lead to some gunk build up in the sump, I address this by running a small cheap power head in my sump tank. Just a few ideas for you :)
 
You have a lot of helpful advise but I recommend doing one thing at a time.. This will help you identify problem without creating more.. Doing too many things at once could cause you to fix one problem but start another.. For sure start with fixing the ro water situation.. I can bet majority of your problems are coming from the tap water.. Tap water has probably cause a lot of damage to your corals.. Lighting would be the next thing I would take care of.. At the same time I would be light on dosing... In this hobby nothing is fixed fast but on the other side of that things can go wrong instantly..
 
Thanks you for everyone that replied I started using rodi water and I'm going to start dosing less more often instead of a lot ever week . Then on about in a week or so Il pull the carbon out . After that il let every think settle for a week or two then il change the bulbs . Does that sound good or is it to fast ?
 
I still think you should remove phosphates somehow with gfo or some type of liquid or media since it is probably leached into your live rocks and sand.That should become 2nd on list after ro water get water quality and paremeters on point then lighting
 
Thanks you for everyone that replied I started using rodi water and I'm going to start dosing less more often instead of a lot ever week . Then on about in a week or so Il pull the carbon out . After that il let every think settle for a week or two then il change the bulbs . Does that sound good or is it to fast ?

Sounds good but get a doser! i run a jebao 100$ 4 head doser and its awesome! get those bulbs out asap. good luck
 
I still think you should remove phosphates somehow with gfo or some type of liquid or media since it is probably leached into your live rocks and sand.That should become 2nd on list after ro water get water quality and paremeters on point then lighting

I was wondering that . Il pick up some GFO
 
Take it slowwwwwwwwwww, after reading those comments I read about 10 things that you "NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW" but really you don't.

Get on some RO/DI water, don't worry about your lights right now, or just replace the whites.

You don't NEED a doser, that can be done maunally.

Figure out your alk consumption by testing daily, after that testing weekly is fine.

I would'nt worry about your rock situation right now either.
 
Take it slowwwwwwwwwww, after reading those comments I read about 10 things that you "NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW" but really you don't.

Get on some RO/DI water, don't worry about your lights right now, or just replace the whites.

You don't NEED a doser, that can be done maunally.

Figure out your alk consumption by testing daily, after that testing weekly is fine.

I would'nt worry about your rock situation right now either.

Thank you .i got on the rodi and I'm replacing one of the white bulbs . I am dropping 1 DKH a week and cal is usually 40ppm but I have had a couple weeks at 20ppm but I'm not sure if it's just the test kit . I just ordered a Hanna checker for phosphate so I know more accurately what my phosphate is also along with Gfo Just in case I need it
 
So a lot of people have told you good information, the thing you need to takeaway from this is that the tank needs to be stable, that means that over days, weeks, months the system tests almost exactly the same.

Keeping SPS can be a bit of a challenge so you have to be in it to win it.
Like everyone wrote earlier.

  • Switch to RO/DI for ALL your water.
  • Figure out you alk consumption and dose based on that.
  • Dose daily, manually or other means but you HAVE to do it daily. The swings that can happen in the tank over the course of a few days cause instability in the system and SPS do not like that.
  • Shoot for parameters like, ALK 7-8, Ca 400-450, Mg 1300-1350. You can fine tune them if you want later but just get and keep things in that range for a while.
  • Get good flow in the tank, everything should be whipping around, no dead spots with nothing moving.
  • Put new T5 lamp in, as mentioned before Giesemann and ATI are both great brand to use.
  • Keep N03 and P04 as low as you can for right now.
  • Get some snails along with the fish in the tank to eat up the algae.

And like everyone wrote, take it slow. When you change your lights the corals have more light available and could bleach, when you add carbon, you clean up the water clarity and the corals could bleach, if you add too much GFO the coral could bleach. The point is don't do everything at one time or the corals will bleach, so take it slow and change and make improvements at a reasonable pace.
 
Take it slowwwwwwwwwww, after reading those comments I read about 10 things that you "NEED TO DO RIGHT NOW" but really you don't.

Get on some RO/DI water, don't worry about your lights right now, or just replace the whites.

You don't NEED a doser, that can be done maunally.

Figure out your alk consumption by testing daily, after that testing weekly is fine.

I would'nt worry about your rock situation right now either.


Get the doser......
 
IMO, I don't think you need a doser untill you get some pretty large colonies and your alk/ cal are dropping rather quickly. But I do agree it makes life easier, I wasn't saying a doser isn't needed, but as far as priorities in figuring out why the tank isn't in balance and such I feel a doser can be moved twords the back of the list.
 
How do I dose every day when I only drop one dkh a week . Do I just put the amount I dose in say 175ml and dose 25ml of it ever day so I'm dosing part of that 1 dkh a day ?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top