Need ideas to get lion fish to eat

Aribalter76

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2023
Messages
1
Reaction score
10
Location
NYC USA
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a three year old lion fish. That suddenly stopped eating completely. It hasn't eaten in two weeks. I've tried squid, shrimp, clams, oysters, soaking silver sides and krill in garlic. As a desperate attempt I tried live fish. But nothing seems to work, I need help if I'm going to save him/her
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Not sure about your lionfish but we're glad you're here.

Let's see if we can get some help: @lion king, @Lionfish hunter.
 
welcome33.gif
 
I have a three year old lion fish. That suddenly stopped eating completely. It hasn't eaten in two weeks. I've tried squid, shrimp, clams, oysters, soaking silver sides and krill in garlic. As a desperate attempt I tried live fish. But nothing seems to work, I need help if I'm going to save him/her
Lions are susceptible to flukes and at times ich. At times when they stop eating, it can be constipation - (You would see a bulge on one or both sides), Elevated tank temp or salinity, krill which at times cause lockjaw, and as mentioned illness.
How is the lion breathing . . . normal or labored?
Eyes clear or cloudy?

Any pics you can provide under white lighting?
 
Welcome to the party, it's a great place to be! There's a ton of great people and information here! Be sure to start a build thread!

Unfortunately, I can't help with your lionfish eating issue, but there will be some that will here :) Good luck!!


Joining Welcome Home GIF
 
What have they been eating up to this point and how often?

Check water quality and possible introduction of a disease. A new of addition of a bully could also throw their feeding off.

Has there been a change in water chemistry, have you notice a faded color. Made any additions of tank cleaners or pest eradicators or any other chemical addition.

Which species and tank size?
 
Last edited:

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top