Need some insight on use of rocks

WhatCouldGoWrong71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 19, 2023
Messages
1,475
Reaction score
882
Location
Memphis
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Last night my 20G tank overheated and so far only a few snails made it through. I have the corals in a bucket, but I am not holding any hope on those.

Ironically I am in the middle of a new tank build and have a lot of wet ocean rock from the gulf arriving on a flight tonight.

1) Do you think the beneficial bacteria on the rock that was in the overheated tank is remotely alive?
2) Since I will have all this new wet rock that I was going to dark cure in the new tank for 4-6 weeks, can I simply mix the rocks from the tank that overheated with the new rock? I am curing over 4-6 weeks with many water changes to remove the ammonia from any die off.

Thoughts?
 
1) Do you think the beneficial bacteria on the rock that was in the overheated tank is remotely alive?
2) Since I will have all this new wet rock that I was going to dark cure in the new tank for 4-6 weeks, can I simply mix the rocks from the tank that overheated with the new rock? I am curing over 4-6 weeks with many water changes to remove the ammonia from any die off.
Could a few types have been harmed by high temps? sure. But the much larger portion will make it through.
I think curing them together will result in a lot of bacteria from both your tank and your new live rock persisting.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top