New and have tons of questions!!!

Not that you guys probably care much about fresh water tanks, but I thought I’d share my freshie tank which I will keep going in my living room along with the Reefer 250!

86249F4D-4E8A-446E-BDBE-8A6F18D1F832.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the Reef. I think you have a fairly good plan. My opinion is move the rocks to the Reefer before you put fish in the QT. That way no meds get on the rocks, and no parasites from the fish get onto them. The only other thing I would caution on is moving 4 fish to a DT at once. You don't want to increase the bioload to much all at once so maybe add two fish and then wait a couple weeks and then add two more. Of course that will also depend on the fish size.

As a fellow new person (just over a year) I agree it would be nice to have a mentor. However, this community is very helpful and for the most part very respectful with each other. Good Luck.
 
giphy.gif


Welcome to R2R! No need to apologize for questions friend! How would we learn if we didn’t ask! Sounds like you’ve got a solid plan!

oh, search up the user HumbleFish. He’s a guru when it comes to quarantine and treating fish.
 
giphy.gif


Welcome to R2R! No need to apologize for questions friend! How would we learn if we didn’t ask! Sounds like you’ve got a solid plan!

oh, search up the user HumbleFish. He’s a guru when it comes to quarantine and treating fish.
Thank you! I remember seeing a You Tube video where they referred to HumbleFish but I could remember that name. Thanks again for reminding me. I will look that up now.
 
Okay, you guys have made up my mind for me. After these two QT tanks are cycled I will transfer the cured rock and sand to my DT aquascape. I will then make these QT tanks bare bottom with PVC for fish caves. I took a little time making the scapes look kinda cool in these QT tanks but now I’m just gonna jam a bunch more rock in them to cure more rock. I’ve got a whole box of dry rock sitting here, may as well cure it. Thanks everyone for the great tips
 
Hello everyone. Let my Noob story and questions begin!

I’ve been into fresh water planted tanks for awhile and feel that I have mastered the high tech planted aquarium and have made the decision to go to salt water. I’ve dove in head first with full scuba gear. I’ve bought a used Reefer 250 and have planned for months. I’ve set up a water mix station and am continually planning that tank for now. However I just set up 2 quarantine tanks and have begun a fish less cycle using Dr. Tim’s Ammonium Chloride and One and Only. I have purchased test kits for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Copper for the cycling process. I also have Hanna checkers for Salinity, Phosphate, Alkalinity, & Calcium. I’m not worried about the cycling because I’ve done this a bunch with fresh water. However, where my current questions begin is how to properly quarantine and treat saltwater fish. I had some Maracyn, General Cure, & Ick-X on hand from the fresh water world but have done some research and decided to buy some Prazi Pro and also Cupramine because that seems to be the common treatment for saltwater fish. So here is my plan so far and I’d like you all to tell me if I’m on the right path.

I set up two 10 gallon tanks. Both with dry rock and dry sand. As stated I’m going to cycle properly for as long as it takes. Once cycled I’d like to add two fish per tank. At that time I’d like to treat for 2-3 weeks with either the Prazi Pro or the Cupramine. WHICH SHOULD I TREST FIRST? Then I plan to remove the med with carbon. Then after about a week remove the carbon and treat the other med for 2-3 weeks. Then remove the med with carbon for a week and then hopefully move a couple fish to the Reffer 250. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE A PROPER PLAN?

A couple other thoughts that I had were to cycle these two 10 gallon tanks with this rock and then once cycled remove the rock Before adding fish and use the seeded rock to jump start the Cycle in my Reefer 250. Then just throw in some large PVC for the fish in the quarantine tanks. WOULD THIS BENEFICIAL FOR MY BIG TANK CYCLE? Or would I be better off just leaving the rock in the quarantine tanks during the med treatments and then transfer the rock with the fish to the cycled Reefer 250...?

After some time I eventually plan to have one of these tanks as a fish quarantine and the other be a coral quarantine.

I do apologize for all the Noob questions. I just really want to do this right and learned a lot of lessons from fresh water especially to be patient and take your time. I tried finding a mentor locally and also talking with my LFS but with the whole Covid thing no body really wants to stand there and talk with a rookie asking a million questions. If anybody would be willing to be my cyber mentor I would be forever in your debt... LOL!

Again, hello everyone and sorry for the long intro

4274AD2B-FBD1-4C59-BB5C-1AC0F489736C.jpeg

Great questions and welcome to R2R! Those quarantine set ups look great but I second all the comments relating to taking out the rocks and sand to use a bare bottom QT to treat. Can’t wait to see the progress, happy reefing!

giphy.gif
 
Welp, there goes the neighborhood! I fit all Of my 60 LBS of dry rock into these two 10 gallon tanks! The rock is Now curing with bacteria. Thanks for the tips guys.
Reminding thought of the day: “when you put a bunch of rock into a full aquarium, where does the water go...?”

95EBC292-2620-482B-8DFF-C2AE682CFBB0.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top