New Clownfish won't eat - Day 6. Please help

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jib
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Jib

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 10, 2020
Messages
599
Reaction score
695
Location
Pennsylvania, USA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a Clownfish for my 14G tank on Saturday. Haven't been able to get him to eat since. Looking for ideas or suggestions. I have 2 foods for him. New Life Spectrum pellets, and frozen brine shrimp. I got these because this is what my LFS had been feeding him. At the suggestion of another on this forum, I've started soaking the shrimp / pellets in a little Selcon prior to feeding (in a small bowl I put a little RODI, the add the pellets / shrimp, a drop or two of selcon, the use a pipette to place food in his direction). I know he sees the food, as some pellet have actually bumped into his head. He looks, but won't eat. I try to feed him twice per day.

I did notice some white stringy poop, and though reading various threads, decided to try and treat with some PraziPro in case he had parasites. Haven't observed the stringy poop today. Not sure if this helped or not.

Fish is fairly active, although generally only swims in one or two area of the tank, and mostly swims in the same spot.

Water:
78 degrees
Salinity, 1.025
PH - 7.8
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 ppm

Worried he is going to starve. Let me know if there is something I should be trying.
 
My clown took 8 days to start eating and then she would only eat if I wasn’t staring at the tank. Try to feed a little and watch out of sight, it may eat. A couples months in and she eats like everyone else.
 
My clowns took a week to start eating white poop can mean a lot of things but wait and see how it plays out
 
My clown took 8 days to start eating and then she would only eat if I wasn’t staring at the tank. Try to feed a little and watch out of sight, it may eat. A couples months in and she eats like everyone else.

I can try this with some shrimp today. They hang out in the water column longer than the pellets. Glad to hear others have had a similar experience.
 
My clowns took a week to start eating white poop can mean a lot of things but wait and see how it plays out
I saw so much mixed information about the white poop. Treating didn't seem to have a downside, so I just went for it.
 
My clown is captive bred and they were raised on pellets and flake food. I started out with flake and she would take bites here and there. I eventually mixed in frozen and pellets as she started to eat more. She much prefers ocean nutrition pellets, they’re red. She also eats frozen but really goes to town on pellets.
 
My clown is captive bred and they were raised on pellets and flake food. I started out with flake and she would take bites here and there. I eventually mixed in frozen and pellets as she started to eat more. She much prefers ocean nutrition pellets, they’re red. She also eats frozen but really goes to town on pellets.
Mine is captive bred as well. Maybe I'll pick up some flakes or other pellets to try if this continues much longer.
 
this
R.O.E..JPG
 
The one side effect of prazipro is appetite suppression, but if you suspect parasites I would still think it's better to treat first, get eating second. That being said I have never had a fish refuse LRS foods.
 
The one side effect of prazipro is appetite suppression, but if you suspect parasites I would still think it's better to treat first, get eating second. That being said I have never had a fish refuse LRS foods.
just looked up the LRS Foods, they look really good. I'll have to see if anyone around me carries it.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top