New coral covers in hitchhikers

  • Thread starter Thread starter q8cyu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

q8cyu

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 6, 2022
Messages
274
Reaction score
238
Location
Earth
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just bought some branching green star polyp and I acclimated it and just as I went to put it in I saw a snail like thing and worm like Armani will get as many pictures as I can when I get them off, what are they they look like brittle stars

image.jpg image.jpg
 
I got the snail off
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8109.jpeg
    IMG_8109.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8108.jpeg
    IMG_8108.jpeg
    88.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8106.jpeg
    IMG_8106.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8105.jpeg
    IMG_8105.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_8107.jpeg
    IMG_8107.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 43
usually, and I said usually the micro brittle stars are harmless ….well at least the striped type and chestnut brown ones…they do multiply tho….
W/o good Identification I would chuck the snail …again thats w/o good ID
 
usually, and I said usually the micro brittle stars are harmless ….well at least the striped type and chestnut brown ones…they do multiply tho….
W/o good Identification I would chuck the snail …again thats w/o good ID
Thanks
 
I got microscope pictures of the brittle stars should I put them in it’s 4x
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8117.jpeg
    IMG_8117.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 37
Just on a lark, I checked with a google search and they can apparently have a variable number of arms, though it is usually 5.
 
I’ve been looking through old forums and they look to be good I’m going to put them in soon
They seem to be the micro brittle stars which I’ve wanted to get if I found them.

What do I do with the snail
 
I’ve been looking through old forums and they look to be good I’m going to put them in soon
They seem to be the micro brittle stars which I’ve wanted to get if I found them.

What do I do with the snail
I’d keep it. It really does look like the Nassarius I referenced. And I’ve never met a rogue snail that ate coral or fish yet.
 
Cartoon characters? I think they are fine brittle starts, just the one in the picture had 6 arms. Something probably injured it and it grew back an extra. :cool:
1689901676028.gif
 
Always good to evaluate strangers before you let them in the house. Hopefully they are all harmless and don't eat you out of house and home. :)
The only strangers allowed in this house are strange aquarium residents that I’ve vetted first
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top