New fish breathing fast - Stray voltage in tank?

Hi! I did only use Fritz and wait two weeks, but I have tested for ammonia multiple times and there is none as of the tests done Sunday, Monday & today. I mentioned it in my original post, but I know it was a pretty long one. I definitely don’t just count on the badge since they might not always show the ammonia right away, if there is any.
If I read this thread correctly, you added Fritz9 to a dry rock tank about 3 weeks ago but you did not add any food (ammonia, dead shrimp, fish food) that would feed the bacteria, you just added salt water, dry rock( not live rock?), and time?

The reason I am asking is that the bacteria need something to eat to promote colonization onto the rocks. That bacteria layer, as it grows and eats the food produces ammonia, then nitrite, and finally nitrate. IF all you ever measured for 3 weeks was zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and now zero nitrate (API test kit? ) then your tank has a weak bacteria layer but not likely cycled to the point it will support fish safely.

You also said you were having a bacteria bloom (the beginning of a cycle?) That is what happens when the bacteria get food normally in a tank start. The water got cloudy? Yes, that was/is the bacteria starting to grow. By changing the water you removed 1/2 of that start but probably helped keep the fish happy for now.

Keep a sharp eye out for another cloudy tank and don't feed the fish more than a flake or two each for the next few days. If you start feeding the fish now you will have an ammonia spike as they eliminate waste products greater than your very thin bacteria layer can process. I'm too tired to write this.

Someone please add a link to a new tank cycling thread.
 
If I read this thread correctly, you added Fritz9 to a dry rock tank about 3 weeks ago but you did not add any food (ammonia, dead shrimp, fish food) that would feed the bacteria, you just added salt water, dry rock( not live rock?), and time?

The reason I am asking is that the bacteria need something to eat to promote colonization onto the rocks. That bacteria layer, as it grows and eats the food produces ammonia, then nitrite, and finally nitrate. IF all you ever measured for 3 weeks was zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and now zero nitrate (API test kit? ) then your tank has a weak bacteria layer but not likely cycled to the point it will support fish safely.

You also said you were having a bacteria bloom (the beginning of a cycle?) That is what happens when the bacteria get food normally in a tank start. The water got cloudy? Yes, that was/is the bacteria starting to grow. By changing the water you removed 1/2 of that start but probably helped keep the fish happy for now.

Keep a sharp eye out for another cloudy tank and don't feed the fish more than a flake or two each for the next few days. If you start feeding the fish now you will have an ammonia spike as they eliminate waste products greater than your very thin bacteria layer can process. I'm too tired to write this.

Someone please add a link to a new tank cycling thread.
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
I actually used LifeRock which has bacteria already seeded into it, not dry rock. I just would really like to have at least one tank start out relatively critter free and I like the way the rock looks better than normal live rock. I also used water from another system that has already been running for a year, along with some new salt water and I used new live sand.
I did test throughout the 3 weeks to confirm that there was an ammonia spike in the beginning, then a nitrite spike, then nitrates and now we’re back to 0 on ammonia and nitrites and I have a small amount of nitrates. I don’t think I reset the cycle at all, but I suppose it’s possible.
I only mentioned a possible bacteria bloom because I know that I probably overdosed the Fritz 9, even though the bottle says you can’t. However, the water was completely clear today so I don’t think there was any sort of bacteria bloom. I think I just stirred up the sand when I did the water change and then over-thought everything in my haste to get my fish happy again.
The great news is that they’re doing great today - both fish are eating, swimming around, people watching, etc.! :)
 
Hi! Thanks for your reply!
I actually used LifeRock which has bacteria already seeded into it, not dry rock. I just would really like to have at least one tank start out relatively critter free and I like the way the rock looks better than normal live rock. I also used water from another system that has already been running for a year, along with some new salt water and I used new live sand.
I did test throughout the 3 weeks to confirm that there was an ammonia spike in the beginning, then a nitrite spike, then nitrates and now we’re back to 0 on ammonia and nitrites and I have a small amount of nitrates. I don’t think I reset the cycle at all, but I suppose it’s possible.
I only mentioned a possible bacteria bloom because I know that I probably overdosed the Fritz 9, even though the bottle says you can’t. However, the water was completely clear today so I don’t think there was any sort of bacteria bloom. I think I just stirred up the sand when I did the water change and then over-thought everything in my haste to get my fish happy again.
The great news is that they’re doing great today - both fish are eating, swimming around, people watching, etc.! :)
Fantastic news. I was really hoping that I got it wrong about the rock, and I did!

I agree that your tank should be/is cycled but still want to encourage you to feed lightly and go slowly with any new additions (you've probably already heard this and know)? That said, this livereefLifeROCK! report is really good news imo, as this thread and your tank should expect a very happy holiday and more. :)

Best Friends Hug GIF by filmeditor
 
Fantastic news. I was really hoping that I got it wrong about the rock, and I did!

I agree that your tank should be/is cycled but still want to encourage you to feed lightly and go slowly with any new additions (you've probably already heard this and know)? That said, this livereefLifeROCK! report is really good news imo, as this thread and your tank should expect a very happy holiday and more. :)

Best Friends Hug GIF by filmeditor
Happy Holidays to you too! And thanks for all the good advice! :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top