New Flame Angel Stopped Eating In QT

jbeanz24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2013
Messages
131
Reaction score
15
Location
Upper Darby , PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I picked up a flame angel this past Sunday. I watched as he ate mysis at the store and I figured he was a good candidate to take home. Monday I fed him mysis and he ate. Tuesday morning I went to feed mysis before work and he ignored the food , same thing occurred tuesday evening after work . Today I tried mysis in the morning and frozen blood worms in the evening he ignored both i also tried some freshly chopped oysters with no luck . Any tips to get this guy going again? My Qt is ten gallons I run an aqua clear filter as well as a sponge filter. Ammonia badge shows zero .
 
You can try adding a drop of garlic to his food, that may help. Is he showing any signs that could indicate disease like heavy breathing, funny looking spots or white stringy poop?
 
I feed my flame flakes and omega one garlic pellets also some seaweed a couple time a week he eats like a pig
 
Have you started treating anything? Very well could be internal parasites. I would treat the tank with Metro at 2 scoops per 10G every 48 hours for 14 days. Hopefully being in the water column it will ingest enough to suppress them and then you can feed metro laced food for 14 days.
Have you done a FW dip?
 
Last edited:
Dwarf angels are very sensitive to ammonia, did you dose biospira prior to quarantine? Do you have an ammonia alert badge?
 
Any meds?
 
@Frtdrmrose7 has a good suggestion, but general cure may be a better option, it covers a wider range of potential internal parasites. Check for stringy poo, look around the tank you can sometimes find white stingy bits that he may have passed. Internal parasites is a very common ailment to a fish not eating. A 10g may be a bit small for a flame angel, that could be contributing some stress,
 
You can try adding a drop of garlic to his food, that may help. Is he showing any signs that could indicate disease like heavy breathing, funny looking spots or white stringy poop?

No heavy breathing , or spots . I haven’t noticed any stringy poop.
 
Have you started treating anything? Very well could be internal parasites. I would treat the tank with Metro at 2 scoops per 10G every 48 hours for 14 days. Hopefully being in the water column it will ingest enough to suppress them and then you can feed metro laced food for 14 days.
Have you done a FW dip?

Haven’t tried a FW dip but I do have general cure on hand.
 
No meds yet I wanted to get him eating before treating however I may try general cure tmm for any potential internal parasites.
Prazipro would be a better choice. Does internal parasites and flukes. Both ailments common for angels , and prazi is safe for angels as well.
 
Based on species and frequency in the distribution system recently my bigger culprits are velvet and uronema. Any redness or sores on the side of the fish? I know on a red fish it can be tough to see.

Any spots? “Dusting”?
 
Based on species and frequency in the distribution system recently my bigger culprits are velvet and uronema. Any redness or sores on the side of the fish? I know on a red fish it can be tough to see.

Any spots? “Dusting”?

Not that I have observed. So far physically he looks normal.
 
Hey everyone I picked up a flame angel this past Sunday. I watched as he ate mysis at the store and I figured he was a good candidate to take home. Monday I fed him mysis and he ate. Tuesday morning I went to feed mysis before work and he ignored the food , same thing occurred tuesday evening after work . Today I tried mysis in the morning and frozen blood worms in the evening he ignored both i also tried some freshly chopped oysters with no luck . Any tips to get this guy going again? My Qt is ten gallons I run an aqua clear filter as well as a sponge filter. Ammonia badge shows zero .

You are giving an Omnivore, well known for algae grazing in the wild, a Carnivore diet. Dwarf Angels often prefer to graze algae or chow down on Seaweed/Nori when they first start out and then add more meat to their diet. Try Seaweed/Nori first and then add meat. See how my coral beauty (from the same Centropyge group as the Flame Angel) takes to the stuff:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top