New frag of firework clove polyps not opening

moonman2091

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
50
Reaction score
145
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly how long should it take a frag of firework clove polyps to open up after being cut to sell?
 
Cloves can be touchy from my experience, it depends on a lot of factors. If moving to a different tank I’d give them 24 hours to settle in.
If in the same tank then they should open pretty quickly.
 
Well I picked up a frag of it Saturday along with a torch that was in the same tank. Dipped both in the Coral Revive. The torch is doing great. The clove open one or two head and closed back up. Got it to its final place where its gettin moderate light and flow and hasn't opened back up.
 
I have a bunch of cloves and usually I will put them in a low flow, especially after a dip. They will be fine though
 
Well I let them set in a lower area on a small DIY frag rack and let the sort or acclimate to the tank and all. Just trying not lose em cause I'm looked everywhere for them and have wanted them for months. All my other corals are doing great.
 
I've read these are super slow growers, but they're not bad. I bought a small 4-6 clove frag and sadly a stalk with 4 heads blew off the plug and disappeared somewhere in the tank the same day I put into the DT. So I had a lonely 2 clove remaining plug that I just shoved into a corner. I'm back to about 6 now.. it's been about a 3-4 weeks. They seem happy given this growth, so I'm just leaving them alone.

Sharing that they're not that slow of a grower. They do seem to grow out of those stalk/tubes so guess the moral of the story is to not be so fixated on the # of cloves, but on the size and quality of the stalk.
 
Oddly my TSA firework cloves grow really fast, i had a pretty large die off once i messed my nutrient levels in the tank all up. They are starting to rebound fairly quickly. I need to find a place of lower flow to keep them to let them thrive.
 
Oddly my TSA firework cloves grow really fast, i had a pretty large die off once i messed my nutrient levels in the tank all up. They are starting to rebound fairly quickly. I need to find a place of lower flow to keep them to let them thrive.

Idk if mine are TSA, but agreed on the growth. What I can't figure out is placement and flow. Mine came from a tank with large colony high in a tank corner. Those corner flows vary, but they do look super cool covering an entire rock. Too pretty of a coral to not take a front and center position which may be more flow. Maybe I'll leave it alone and allow it to grow out and stronger stalks before attempting to move it to more flow. A little gun shy with having blown away stalks after the earlier incident. I don't see that they react to direct feeding either.
 
I have two sets of cloves (really three), but when I moved them to the lower flow area and low in the tank, they seem much happier. Here is a picture of one of them. The neon green and the firework ones I do not have pictures yet. These are my favorites so far. This does not show the bright coloring it gets. From Unique Coral!

papaya clove.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top