New Guy on the Block (in Arizona) - Help

Should be able to post some information and more importantly some pics and measurements tonight. I have a Fitting that I want to replace and have some Ideas about a Sump, but you would know more about how they need to work than I. But I do have some Ideas based on some of what I have seen.

- 40 Gallon Sump (40 Gallon Breeder) - Is that large enough for a 181 Gallon Tank?
- Protein Skimmer (rate to handle Medium Bio Load for 180 Gallon
- Return Pump Rate for 1500 GPH or greater
- I need some mechanical filtration (I have Bio Balls (Alot), I would like to maybe use the socks in the Sump.
- I need Baffles
- I need to figure out how to plumb it so I use it right and don't flood my house. Wife would kill me if I flooded the house (lol)
- Also I want to (if I can leave room in the Sump for adding upgrades (ATO, RODI, etc)
 
Last edited:
Yes the 40 is big enough
There are a lot of good, and reasonably priced skimmers out there. The bubble magus curve 9 is a great skimmer - however the pumps are hit or miss as to durability. Reef octopus is another good option. This one you will want to do some reading on because there really are a ton of good ones available. The best bet is to do some research and then ask if "this one" would be a good choice. Those who know will answer.

For return pumps I've had good luck with the jebao dc/dtc 12000. I know others have had failures but I haven't. I do however keep a spare in the fish room just in case.

Mechanical filtration should be unnecessary if the system is set up right. It is nice to run a sock once in a while when doing a cleanup, but running them all the time is a lot of work and generally not needed.
Bio balls are not recommended, as they produce nitrate as a result of the nitrogen cycle. Live rock is a much better biological filter.

If you do end up with a 40b for a sump - again I'll give the baffles to you for free if you want them.
Plumbing is straightforward but we need to see the tank, overflows, number of holes, to give sound advice.
The rest can be tackled as you learn more about this new system, and prepare to set it up.

One more thing, most equipment purchases are based on preference and price. Buy the best you can afford, it will last longer. But most everything is replaceable later if you decide to upgrade, and want to keep the price down. Some direction from you as to the budget for this project would help us give recommendations as well.

HTH
Tom.
 
Yes the 40 is big enough
There are a lot of good, and reasonably priced skimmers out there. The bubble magus curve 9 is a great skimmer - however the pumps are hit or miss as to durability. Reef octopus is another good option. This one you will want to do some reading on because there really are a ton of good ones available. The best bet is to do some research and then ask if "this one" would be a good choice. Those who know will answer.

For return pumps I've had good luck with the jebao dc/dtc 12000. I know others have had failures but I haven't. I do however keep a spare in the fish room just in case.

Mechanical filtration should be unnecessary if the system is set up right. It is nice to run a sock once in a while when doing a cleanup, but running them all the time is a lot of work and generally not needed.
Bio balls are not recommended, as they produce nitrate as a result of the nitrogen cycle. Live rock is a much better biological filter.

If you do end up with a 40b for a sump - again I'll give the baffles to you for free if you want them.
Plumbing is straightforward but we need to see the tank, overflows, number of holes, to give sound advice.
The rest can be tackled as you learn more about this new system, and prepare to set it up.

One more thing, most equipment purchases are based on preference and price. Buy the best you can afford, it will last longer. But most everything is replaceable later if you decide to upgrade, and want to keep the price down. Some direction from you as to the budget for this project would help us give recommendations as well.

HTH
Tom.
I have Live Rock and was planning to Use it - also was planning to "seed it (LR and Sand from my 55 Gal.). I will start Looking at the equipment you mentioned tonight. I would like my sump and it contents (Return Pump, Plumbing, Protein Skimmer and whatever basic I need) to cost less than $ 800.00 - 1,000.00. Will do final measurements and get a 40 Gallon Breeder tomorrow.
 
I have Live Rock and was planning to Use it - also was planning to "seed it (LR and Sand from my 55 Gal.). I will start Looking at the equipment you mentioned tonight. I would like my sump and it contents (Return Pump, Plumbing, Protein Skimmer and whatever basic I need) to cost less than $ 800.00 - 1,000.00. Will do final measurements and get a 40 Gallon Breeder tomorrow.

You can make it happen with that budget, I have some cheato algae if you want to run it in your fuge once you have it set up, it helps with nutrient export
 
Measurements are:

Base Length (Inside): 63 Inches
Base Width (Inside): 18.25 Inches

Tank Dimensions:

Tank Length (Outside): 60 Inches
Tank Height (Outside): 30 Inches
Tank Width (Outside): 24 Inches

I will take measurements and verify the 40 Gallon Breeder tank size for a sump.

The tank still needs more cleaning and the Acrylic Polish kit that I have on the way:
IMG_2442.JPG


Here is a fitting that I want to Change (it is the Overflow drain from the tank to the sump:
IMG_2443.JPG


Here is the Base (Doors Removed and on it end) - It has 5 doors for easy access:

IMG_2444.JPG


I also need to look at the electrical in the base (There are lights, but I am referring to the Electrical Boxes and the Power strip) - it also has a UPS.
 
Measurements are:

Base Length (Inside): 63 Inches
Base Width (Inside): 18.25 Inches

Tank Dimensions:

Tank Length (Outside): 60 Inches
Tank Height (Outside): 30 Inches
Tank Width (Outside): 24 Inches

I will take measurements and verify the 40 Gallon Breeder tank size for a sump.

The tank still needs more cleaning and the Acrylic Polish kit that I have on the way:
IMG_2442.JPG


Here is a fitting that I want to Change (it is the Overflow drain from the tank to the sump:
IMG_2443.JPG


Here is the Base (Doors Removed and on it end) - It has 5 doors for easy access:

IMG_2444.JPG


I also need to look at the electrical in the base (There are lights, but I am referring to the Electrical Boxes and the Power strip) - it also has a UPS.

I think that fitting is a bulk head which you can get from most lfs.
 
What else should I have in terms of the Basics besides a Protein Skimmer, Return Pump, and a sump tank? I want to get an ATO but not now. Wife and Daughter are finishing their vacation tomorrow (I just switched jobs). So I need to finish cleaning the house for them. I am going to do some more research and post my list of equipment options - I would appericate your feed back on the list when I post it. The fitting sets at the bottom of the overflow box and moves the water into the sump. As I understand it, this system was plumbed as a closed loop system. Different Question; What would be a better Sick Tank 20 or 55 Gal. I have both. I don't plan on getting more that a 3 or 4 more fish and they will be small. Probably the last fish would be a Yellow Tank (at least that is my thought for now). Are Yellow Tangs especially susptable to ich?
 
You are going to need some power heads in the display tank to get water flowering inside the tank. I've been using jeboa wave makers with no issues, they are much cheaper then eco tech ones. Also get a basic water testing kit. As far as the QT tank for new fish a 20 gallon would work with a hob filter and some pvc elbows inside. That fitting is bulk head they will have them at a local fish store.

Also you are going to want a heater, although this time of year the water stays warm enough and you will need something to keep it cool like small fans. I don't see a chiller being in your budget. I would get the ATO system first
 
Last edited:
Thanks for posting pictures, that helps a lot.
Looks like a peninsula tank (viewable from 3 sides).
The fitting you're referring to is a bulkhead for the overflow - how many are there? the pic only shows 1.
Also, have you researched the different overflow systems out there? Herbie, Bean Animal, Durso, etc.? My suggestion is Bean or Herbie.
Your tank is definitely drilled for a closed loop system - which needs to be done with some forethought to avoid a bad situation later. However it is a great way to add flow to your system.
Before you set this up, I would strongly recommend going and seeing a large system in person - like the size of yours or larger - you'll learn a lot, and avoid some simple mistakes that cannot be undone without a tear down.
First step is to do all of the cleanup and polishing you're going to do - then decide on an overflow system - then make sure you have the appropriate holes, and add if needed - then sump set up and return pump - then build and mock up plumbing - then plumb the closed loop.
Nothing should be glued at this point, you need to stare at it for a few days and decide if any changes need to be made.
All these steps are going to take you a good bit of time. But... this is the funnest part, so enjoy it!

Let me know if you would like to come see my setup, I'd be happy to show you in person what you need to do. This is my 350 when I was first setting it up.
198.JPG
 
I am still looking at options, but what do you think of the equipment below?

Reef Octopus Varios 6 Pump 1750 GPH
Reef Octopus 202 S Protein Skimmer
Bubble Magus Curve 9

Concerned over the height of the skimmer on these as I only have 25 inches of height inside of my base. I know each of these skillers comes in under that, but I have to allow for the thickness of the sump and I need remove the cup from the skimmer.
 
That RO is a really nice pump with a lot of features. I think you should be looking at the 8 though. One of the nice things about D.C. Pumps is adjustability, and I think you'll find that you will be running the 6 on max, which takes away the ability to fine tune.
Both of those skimmers will be good choices.
If you need to trim the budget some consider a jebao DC12000. They work great and a pump is an easy upgrade if you decide you want to later.
 
Should be able to do more work on the tank this weekend. I will make final decisions of the equipment then.
 
How's it coming along
Estimate this weekend or next for the get wet date. I have my aqua scaping layout- tonight I wash rocks. Still got work to do on base, doors and hinges. Question - Sump light: simple grow light ok
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top