New in California 40 breeder build

Great build !!! Well done the stand.
 
Thanks.
I got it painted and in my apartment. It's now filling with water!
20190520_195251.jpg
20190520_213409.jpg
20190521_202038.jpg
 
Thanks. It's a small apt so all equipment had to be accounted for. My old tank was big and I had a fish real so add-ons were easy to accommodate. With this system I had to try to think about as much as I could in the beginning. I'm sure I've missed some stuff but I tried to do some accounting for that as well. Ie I have four slots in the manifold and I'm only planning on using two.
 
I was able to find a used Precision Marine cr422 calcium reactor that I'm in the process of refurbishing. I had one for years then the cr622 on my large reef back east.
20190528_204229.jpg


I also kept this guy from my old system so when I get it going I'll only need to get a co2 tank and media.
20190528_204950.jpg
 
I've been filled with saltwater now for about 10 days. I'm seeing pretty high ammonia and nitrate which is obviously to be expected. There are no living creatures in the tank yet and probably won't be for another three weeks at least.

Once it what's broken in, I got to say I'm pretty impressed with the bubble magus skimmer. I do have to say it took a while to stop going nuts though. I also threw together some quickie probe and quarter inch tube holders for the sump.
The one with the glass at the bottom of it will be the holder for the pH probe that runs the calcium reactor.
20190602_081754.jpg
 
Here's my 1st fts. It's obviously empty as the water would be too toxic to support life at this point. I'm pretty happy with the spray foam bottom. Once it gets covered with coralline algae it'll pretty much look like rock. I've had experience with using it so I kind of knew what I was getting into with that.
20190602_080249.jpg
 
Love the build!
The cabinet makes a simple tank so elegant and really like the equipment drawer just under the tank.
If you have time check my recent 40g frag tank build
 
What are your plans for stocking fish and corals
 
Haven't posted much. I did some significant battles with various algaes but have come through. Finally I'm pretty happy with the results.
As always perserverence is the key to nuisance algea!
Daily brushing of rock, dosing H2O2 eventually won.
I ditched the used cr422 as the ehiem pump kept giving me trouble both in sealing and noise and various broken parts. I bought a reef octopus cr140. I realize it's not spectacular yet but I'm feeling confident it's getting to a place I'm happy. My apt isn't big so effective use of space is important. Going from 200g with an entire room behind the tank for equipment to a 40g tank has been a challenge.
20191217_185400.jpg
20191228_194149.jpg
20191215_151403.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top