New Nano-Cube 6 question about livestock

  • Thread starter Thread starter ReefOC
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

ReefOC

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 27, 2024
Messages
322
Reaction score
162
Location
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just started a JBJ Nano-Cube 6 that I received from a friend. I am curious if a small yellow tang would be too big or would work. I was thinking a couple of tiny Clowns and maybe the yellow tang. Any thoughts about if that would be too much fish for that small tank.
 
1713220483537.png
 
Please do a lot more research before you put ant fish in the tank. A 6 gallon tank could hold some of the smallest species of gobies, such as trimma or eviota or yasha or cleaners. Or inverts. But NOT clowns and CERTAINLY not a tang of any kind.
 
a 6gal tank is much to small for any of the species of tang and personally for me too small for a a pair of clowns. look at nano gobies for a tank that size.
 
Please do a lot more research before you put ant fish in the tank. A 6 gallon tank could hold some of the smallest species of gobies, such as trimma or eviota or yasha or cleaners. Or inverts. But NOT clowns and CERTAINLY not a tang of any kind.
Thank you for the feedback! I greatly appreciate it!
 
a 6gal tank is much to small for any of the species of tang and personally for me too small for a a pair of clowns. look at nano gobies for a tank that size.
Thank you! I am just getting back into the hobby and apparently am a newbie again.
 
Yellow tangs get to something like 6-8" long, and are extremely active fish that need large tanks even as juveniles. It should, frankly, be sort of obvious why that wouldn't be appropriate for what is quite a small tank.

Adult size of fish needs to be taken into account when buying them. Never buy a fish you don't currently have a system to house, and never buy fish based on their current size rather than their real size.

For a 6gal, you're limited to very small fish that don't swim much. Trimma gobies, clown gobies, two-spot or tailspot blennies, barnacle blennies, small shrimpgobies like antenna gobies. Two tiny ones should be a fine bio-load once the tank is mature. My suggestion would be enough rockscape to support an antenna or Yasha goby and candycane pistol shrimp burrow system, then your choice of small, rock-perching blenny or goby.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top