New Protein Skimmer or New Sump or ???

jphilip813

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2019
Messages
910
Reaction score
581
Location
In The 915
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers...I have a 120 mixed reef with a Eshopps ADV 200 Sump (No Baffles), a Skimzs 161 skimmer, COR 20 Return pump running at 67% and an Neptune ATO. The water level for the skimmer should be any where between 7-9 inches like most skimmers, and I find my skimmer works best at about 8inches. The problem is, the water level in the skimmer chamber does NOT stay at a constant level, it goes DOWN in a matter of days after I clean/water change. Yet the ATO chamber has water in it and doesn't run dry. But in the return chamber, I have to raise the ato water level (about 6 inches above the Eshopps recommended level) so that the water in the skimmer compartment stays at a somewhat consistent level. I reached out to Eshopps; no reply yet. Do I need a new skimmer or new sump....photos taken one week apart...

20200402_161003.jpg 20200410_174417.jpg
 
Last edited:
Your sump needs attention. The return water from your display should be dropping into X and then moving through the center baffle into the return pump chamber like in the pic below: Nothing should be taking water out of the 1st chamber. There is nothing wrong with your skimmer.

InkedSomeone elses sump_LI.jpg
 
Thx alot...I figured there was something wrong with my sump...not sure what the problem is to be honest...
 
The water level in your first two chambers should stay steady, with the last chamber showing any evap. variances. I can tell from the pic why your first chamber is varying in depth? Do you know why the skimmer chamber varies in depth?
 
The water level in your first two chambers should stay steady, with the last chamber showing any evap. variances. I can tell from the pic why your first chamber is varying in depth? Do you know why the skimmer chamber varies in depth?
Honestly...I do not know...was looking for some tips....I changed the socks, change the sponges for the Sump....but still the same issue...the water level drops...I do not see any blockage anywhere, and the bad thing is, there are NO baffles to adjust the water level like it is in a traditional Sump. Eshopps went baffle-less with this sump. I purchased it in 2017.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top