New reefer and tank chemistry questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter M3d1C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

M3d1C

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2020
Messages
85
Reaction score
133
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so my 7 gallon has been up and running since the beginning of February now. It seems to be doing very well. All of the coral look happy and the fish and shrimp seem very healthy. I recently bought some new test kits to go more in depth into the tank and its needs and here's what I found today.

Nitrates (NYOS Kit) 12
Phosphates (hanna checker) 0.39
Alkalinity (hanna checker) 8.3
Ph (API kit) 7.8

I don't have my calcium or magnesium test kits yet cause of back order at my LFS. Hopefully they will be in tomorrow. I got my alkalinity checker Thursday and checked the water then and it was 9.0 so it has dropped some. I do once a week water changes with the next one due Friday. Any tips, advice, warnings, criticism or anything you can give me moving forward to keep the tank happy and healthy I would greatly appreciate!

Also, I just received my package of BRS 2 part while I'm writing this. Recent pic of tank below.

Thanks!
M3d1c

15880231578928759506471043796172.jpg
 
In general, that looks pretty good, especially if you do not have an apparent algae problem. If algae starts to begin to be problematic, it may be useful to reduce the phosphate, but if you do not have such a problem now, it is better to be on the high side than to drop it too low.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top