New saltwater nano tank questions

Hollywoodwater617

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2020
Messages
52
Reaction score
101
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy tanking and happy new year I started a saltwater nano tank this holiday season. Budget and simple is the way I decide to start my saltwater tank Journey. The Black Friday and my LFS moving sale made it very possible.
The tank is stocked with 1 watchman goby,
1 emerald crab, 1 turbo snail ,1 zoa frag and 1 leather sinularia frag

Question 1. Im using fluval reef & marine 2.0 lights ( FYI 1st upgrade this yr couldn’t beat 40 bucks brand new in LFS) I’m loving the lights so far but I can’t figure out what is a good lighting schedule?
the coral seem to love the blue lights more then the white lights so I’ve been running my blue lights mainly 6-7hrs (if possible) and white blues 3-4 hrs (if possible)

Question 2. Is there another timer w/Dimmer or cheap controller option that works with the reef and marine 2.0. I haven’t heard any good reviews on the that WiFi option fluval has for the 2.0

Question 3. Reef crystals dkh issues I tested my 1st mix for a water change and it’s testing 11.5 dkh and the tank is testing at 7.5 dkh. Is that bad? Im thinking with small 2 - 2.5 gallon weekly water changes on a 13 gallon tank that shouldn’t make the dkh Spike too high to hurt the corals now or in the future ( not going coral crazy until I upgrade the lights or salt mix)

Questions 4. I’m starting with small fish in the tank 1 small watchman goby and possible adding 2 clown fish next week. feeding those little guys Twice everyday but what food for daily feeding flakes vs freeze brine shrimp?
thanx For reading my 1st post, sorry for the length in questions and help is always welcome thank you in advance

865D6013-416A-4767-8C83-4F535FDD1969.jpeg 932FA3B3-5694-4CDC-9B4E-357C6CC94528.jpeg 9456D957-075B-47A0-9BAF-B008FD89628C.jpeg 08C58361-EDFE-475A-B523-89D79F5F4241.jpeg
 
Welcome to R2R!!!!! you will most likely run into issues with the lights as they dont have the power or correct color spectrum for corals. other than that id stick with 2 gal water changes weekly, what test kit are you using?
 
thank you for replying back, I’m using tetra easy strip for ammonia, nitrate, nitrate, Hanna checker for alkalinity and a refractometer. The lights are doing ok but I know I need to upgrade them if I really plan on keeping coral not just for Quality but for time scheduling. Running lights without a timer/dimmer setting isn't fun. That’s one of my 1st upgrade this yr ASAP!
 
do the 2.0's work with Fluval's app? I have a set of 3.0's and have no issues with light schedule
 
do the 2.0's work with Fluval's app? I have a set of 3.0's and have no issues with light schedule
No, The 2.0 need a controller to work with the app. it’s about 50-80 dollars for it plus I haven’t heard good things about it at all.
 
Yea it’s the worst ☹ Are you liking the 3.0?
I like them. I have 2 on my 110. Hardest part was figuring a custom setting. Tank didn't do well with the preset ones.
I also have a 3.0 for my freshwater tank and love that, found a youtube video with sunrise to sunset settings.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top