New setup with Red Sea Reefer xxl 750

Pete Hammersley

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2019
Messages
110
Reaction score
76
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’m a fairly inexperienced reefer, and just massively upgraded my tank from a 155 litre tank which I’ve had around 12 - 15 months to a RS reefer 750. To make things even more difficult, it’s a tank only, so I’m taking on the whole cabinet, sump, plumbing etc as a huge DIY project, which I’m incredibly excited about. I have bought a 5 foot 300 litre tank to make into a sump which I plan on using as a big refugium, and I will break up the 50~60 lb of my existing live rock (from my current tank) and put that in baskets in the sump too. I plan on using 120~150 lb of new dry rock for the display tank. The skimmer is massive, a Skimz Monzter which i will have to tune down to suit the water volume.

Knowing a bit now about my setup plans, would you suggest using filter socks? My thought is no, as with all that space in the sump to harbour Copepods both in the macro algae and live rock, I think the excess food would be better actually in the sump where it can be eaten rather than left to break down in a sock.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
 
Welcome and we are glad to have ya here!!!!

As for filter socks, I do not use them. It really depends on each tank and the husbandry put into the tank. Also, it is a preference. I run massive refugiums in large sumps, so the nutrients have somewhere to go. Again, it is optional and there are gorgeous tanks running them and not running them.
 
Welcome and we are glad to have ya here!!!!

As for filter socks, I do not use them. It really depends on each tank and the husbandry put into the tank. Also, it is a preference. I run massive refugiums in large sumps, so the nutrients have somewhere to go. Again, it is optional and there are gorgeous tanks running them and not running them.

Ok great, that’s the answer I was hoping for. One vote for no socks.
As for husbandry, I intend on keeping it immaculate (I am very OCD!), however I am super busy too, so I’m trying to incorporate as many of the ULM “ultra low maintenance” tips as I can.
Thanks.
 
Have you looked into the Triton Method? It requires a large refugion, (10% of your total water volume) and no mechanical filtration, (besides a skimmer) or water changes at all. I have a RSR 750 XXL as well, but have the stand and sump and am planning on getting rid of the sock section and expanding my refugium since the default one is slightly smaller than 10%.

Here is a link to the BRS spotlight on the Triton Method in case you are interested...

 
Last edited:
Have you looked into the Triton Method? It requires a large refugion, (10% of your total water volume) and no mechanical filtration or water changes at all. I have a RSR 750 XXL as well, but have the stand and sump and am planning on getting rid of the sock section and expanding my refugium since the default one is slightly smaller than 10%.

Here is a link to the BRS spotlight on the Triton Method in case you are interested...


I have seen most of the BRS videos, I think they’re brilliant, but at the point that I’d watched the triton videos I was planning on using Kalkwasser as it looked easier and didn’t seem as daunting. Now I have read more on dosing, it doesn’t look as big a deal as I first thought and once it’s fine tuned potentially even easier than kale? So that said, I think I’ll take your advise and take another watch of the video and see if I can use this method for both nutrient exp and maintaining chemistry.
Thanks, great suggestion.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top