New snowflake clown with mouth open

Sorry to hear you lost him my friend. Nothing worse then losing a friend like that. I have a FOWLR that I have had running for a while but my 2 favorite fish are my two little OC clownfish that reside in my reef. I would be a wreck if I lost one of those little guys.. just got to where I can feed them out of my hands.

Such a sad day my man, at least you did all you could to help him.
 
messing heartbroken man! Poor little guy looked into my soul on lunch break like "help me". dang.

Well, I guess this QT needs to still be set up, just tried some frozen brine shrimp for the other guy and I saw him clearly eat for the first time so thats good. I have a ton of questions about setting up the QT and need to organize my thoughts and chill out for a little bit so I can make a solid post later and quit spamming on here. I really appreciate you guys and your help, and your thoughts. They are definitely friends. A soul is a soul.
 
messing heartbroken man! Poor little guy looked into my soul on lunch break like "help me". dang.

Well, I guess this QT needs to still be set up, just tried some frozen brine shrimp for the other guy and I saw him clearly eat for the first time so thats good. I have a ton of questions about setting up the QT and need to organize my thoughts and chill out for a little bit so I can make a solid post later and quit spamming on here. I really appreciate you guys and your help, and your thoughts. They are definitely friends. A soul is a soul.

I'm sorry to hear.

I'll help you through the setup when you're ready. I was in your position just last year and I can share a lot of info that might spare you some grief down the road.
 
messing heartbroken man! Poor little guy looked into my soul on lunch break like "help me". dang.

Well, I guess this QT needs to still be set up, just tried some frozen brine shrimp for the other guy and I saw him clearly eat for the first time so thats good. I have a ton of questions about setting up the QT and need to organize my thoughts and chill out for a little bit so I can make a solid post later and quit spamming on here. I really appreciate you guys and your help, and your thoughts. They are definitely friends. A soul is a soul.
I am here to help, was out of cell service earlier but should be back for the rest of the week.
 
I'm really sorry for your loss. :( Clowns are probably the one fish we get the most attached to. We are here to help you save the other one from the same fate.
 
Appreciate it guys, the fiance and I are getting the QT tank together here. I also have a pom pom crab in the tank that I was worried about due to my slightly elevated nitrates, but he came out and said hello this evening so I know hes okay in there too. The other clown seems healthier and stronger than the little guy and swims around, sometimes swimming into the flow. Only saw him flash that once and he ate tonight. I have a list of questions but first ill describe my quickrig.

- 5 gallon from walmart that came with everything as recommended.
- preset 78 degree heater
-API quickstart bottled bacteria
-a powerhead
-biofoam that im going to soak and cut a hole in for the air hose
-ick clear, fiz tabs that were literally the only thing I could find that contained acriflavine

Questions:
1. Should I qt the clown and the pom pom crab? Going to be hard to find him in the rock I have no idea where he went
2. How is the clown going to survive without cycling the tank even with water changes I thought a hint of nitrites was fatal? Does salinity need to be the same as my main tank?
3. How many water changes, how frequently on the qt- 5 gal? If it is dependent on the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates I have no problem testing daily, how much will remove the proper amount of nitrites and ammonia?
4. I have cut to fit polyfilter or plain cut to fit filter, which should I use? ill attach pics to compare
5. Should I use the ick fiz tabs for tonight since I have to hope the local fish store has copper tommorow? Ill post a pic of the box
6. Should I only treat with copper? Other guy seems healthy. Will copper treat for all possibilities?
7. Should I follow the dosage of the bottled bacteria label or just overload the biofoam and filter with it?
8. I have ammonia drops from Dr. Tim can they be utilized for the qt?
9. I am pretty sure liveaquaria will send another fish since today is day 7, will it make a difference if I add the fish to the qt after the other(s) have been in there for a while?
10. What the heck do I do with my main tank?

I understand if this is too many questions for one person to have time for. Any contributions are appreciated.
I also think I just answered #4 taking the picture to upload myself because polyfilter says "after" medical treatments, lol.

1503201980109232954016.jpg


15032020421111714793456.jpg
 
Last edited:
Pom pom crab isn't affected by ich, velvet or flukes. They are fish only parasites. That 5g you got, does it have a hang on back(HOB) filter. If so, stuff it with your foam and pour the bacteria in it. That much bacteria in a 5g tank should insta-cycle it.
 
Its a whisper hob, but the filter itself sits inside the tank. So use the foam in the filter and neither of the filters I was thinking? The air pump doesnt need to be aerated by inserting into a piece of foam? The foam is big enough to cut and use in the filter and use to aerate the pump if I should. I have a 4 fl oz bottle of the bacteria, pour the whole thing in?
 
To actually treat your fish, you will need to maintain 2.0ppm on the copper safe for 30 days. If copper drops below 2.0ppm reset the 30 days. After 30 days, you can remove the copper thru water changes or carbon. You can use PVC elbows to give you fish a hiding place. Again the tests can be hard to read. Outside in a kinda shady area is the best way to read it. Post pictures if you're having trouble. The QT will need to be 10 feet away from your DT. Yea, velvet can float thru the air... wicked stuff. Your DT will need to be fishless for 6 weeks to make sure all the velvet has ran it's life cycle and is completely dead. If there is any doubt, and it's probably a good idea anyway, that ich might be involved also, you'll need to go fishless for 76 days.
 
Last edited:
Same salinity. Ok i have the exact same filter and tank. Don't use the carbon filter but the sponge filter it came with is fine. You can put the extra sponge in the wisper for more surface area for the bacteria. Soak the sponges in it. Run the air line into the tank with a stone if you got one for some boosted air. Velvet attacks the gills first so the more O2 the better.
 
I was planning on poking holes in the air tube and inserting into the extra bio foam and putting that into this aquarium ornament. Bad idea?
Edit: and mine only came with the carbon filter, so i cut half the biofoam for the filter. So just to make sure, use the whole bottle of bacteria?
15032042689491371412991.jpg
 
Okay. Tank is set up. Salinity is good. Dumped a whole bottle of quickstart bacteria in. Should i put him in there even though theres no meds in it yet? Or should i try that ick fizz tablet?

15032109030502082685261.jpg
 
Check the dose on the ich fizz thing. Does it say saltwater safe too? I forgot to look at it. Wait until you have copper in the QT. Do a FW dip then the acriflavin bath, then into QT with copper. You can do a FW dip and acriflavin bath then put her back into DT for relief.
 
Its freshwater only. Going to get the copper tommorow and let her relax she seems okay for right now. I would need another air pump to dip her right now. Ill be there as soon as they open tommorow.
 
Would it hurt to add sand to the qt tank? Want it to look alright since they have to be in it for 76 days
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top