New tank… here it goes

jdivz87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
409
Reaction score
162
Location
Worcester
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking and haven’t been able to find common denominator.
New tank. 3 days. Added bio spora

whats next? When Can I add fish? Should I add snail? Thoughts please
 
no fish yet, thats a few weeks away. Testing comes first, you have to track the cycle: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Do you have any test kits? What are the parameters today?
 
no need for snails until you have food for them to eat. Do your testing and just let the tank cycle. You can add more bottled bacteria--I used 3 different types but I was upgrading not starting new and moving everything over (had live rock so avoided a cycle).

Be patient. Good time to plan your daily routine and get your test kits and research what your want in your tank. When ammonia and nitrites are 0 you are cycled. Test your nitrates. Eventually you need to test phosphate (red sea or hanna test kit), alk (hannah), ca and mg (salifert) if you want corals.

Use this time to prepare
 
I'd definitely wait more than 3 days after starting a tank before adding fish or anything tbh...can you give more details? Are you using live rock? If not, did you remember to add the ammonia before adding the bacteria? Where are your nutrients at?
 
no fish yet, thats a few weeks away. Testing comes first, you have to track the cycle: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Do you have any test kits? What are the parameters today?
So I bought the kit from Petco saltwater but multiple people said that’s not legit and it’s always off. Any recommendations where I should get it??? Or what to get?
 
no need for snails until you have food for them to eat. Do your testing and just let the tank cycle. You can add more bottled bacteria--I used 3 different types but I was upgrading not starting new and moving everything over (had live rock so avoided a cycle).

Be patient. Good time to plan your daily routine and get your test kits and research what your want in your tank. When ammonia and nitrites are 0 you are cycled. Test your nitrates. Eventually you need to test phosphate (red sea or hanna test kit), alk (hannah), ca and mg (salifert) if you want corals.

Use this time to prepare
Thank you for the test kit recs
 
I have patience with this. No rush at all! Just wanted to know where to go from here. Thanks so much for the replies.
 
I started with dry rock in my 130 gallon tank, I added two bottles of Fritzyme 9 and dropped in two 3 plus inch tangs the same day. Almost 2 years later those tangs are fat and happy.
The pic was a few weeks after I dropped them in, see how white the rock was.
20210708_195658.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top