New Tank: Sand or No Sand w/ This Scape?

DeadPhish

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 9, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
7
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? I bought sand but I am leaning towards no sand. I really like how these rocks look just popping off the glass.

Since it is such a small tank and I am using a canister filter would this deplete my beneficial bacteria habitat too much?

Thanks for the assistance.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 7.53.35 PM.png
 
Just my 2-cents: It ‘pops’ now because the glass is brand new/crystal clear. When it’s slimy and cruddy (i.e., normal tank conditions over time—lol), will you wish you had some sand? Not a tragedy, I suppose, to carefully add that tiny amount of sand later, even to an established tank. Just something to consider :cool:
 
It’s really personal preference, I like to see sand but thats me and many run with no sand.

The rock work design looks very nice and natural
 
I was adamant on getting sand in my tank at first, but after running it for a while now, i have to say cleaning and siphoning poop is sooo easy with no sand to worry about!
20181203003013.jpg


Also super cool to watch coralline algae grow on the bottom glass.
 
If youre going without sand, make sure your rock is super well balanced and stable on the glass as they will slide around very easily, so if you have stacked pieces yhey may fall.
 
If you ever intend to have sand shifting gobies, a pistol shrimp, wrasses, or other inhabitants that burrow in sand, then that should help drive your decision.
 
My vote is for sand. I prefer the look of sand but there are a lot of good looking bare bottoms. Great job on your rock work
 
I vote for sand! For me personally, I'm trying to recreate what I see when I go snorkeling and sand is an integral part of the reef. I also love my gobies and wrasses and they definitely wouldn't be happy without sand, imho.
 
After much internal debate. I went with the bare bottom. I think it looks good.

Jimi digs it.

Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 6.41.13 PM.png
 
nice, hope ya got the rocks secured well.

They are. Thanks for the heads up!

About to start the cycle. Hopefully it will be ready for some montis to cover the bottom here in a few+ months.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top