New tank still cloudy 4 wks into the cycle

I used the bacteria starter by red sea and cycled for months and would go cloudy. finally got it clear and it stayed for a few days. I added frozen food and within 24 hours completely cloudy again. week later did a 99% water change and now it looks polished. fingers crossed.
 
Are you sure you aren't having a bacterial bloom if you've ruled out particulates/sand in the water column...mine lasted 6 weeks during my first couple months in a new setup with dry rock/dry sand...

March 22nd- around week 5 of cloudiness...water changes did nothing.. livestock =1 clownfish in a 100gallon tank...about to pull what's rest of my hair out and almost pulled the trigger to buy an expensive UV sterilizer...
upload_2016-9-14_19-52-39.png


March 24th- 6weeks to the day...tank cleared up!
upload_2016-9-14_19-55-23.png


This was patience lesson number 2 for me...


I think you hit the nail on the head.
 
So about 3 more weeks I should be good also where's a good place to get the little rock starfish and amphipods also should I add bristle worms I always disliked them because I was told they was painfull to touch but have never been bothered by them and now wonder if they aren't a benefit to the live rock as they are also a beneficial part of the cleanup crew and reef!!!
 
I've never heard of anyone intentionally wanting bristle worms. They are a good cleanup crew, but I I always got them by accident not cuz I was looking for them, same with the brittle starfish if that's what you meant by rock starfish. I'm sure you can find someone local who can give you some for free if you really wanted.
 
Yeah they are really small starfish I had them in my last tanks when I would feed the tank I would see there legs sticking out the little holes in the rock I'm not talking about the big red or brown brittle stars and not the little white ones either
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top