New tank uglies? Or something worse?

jack4rogers

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 31, 2022
Messages
95
Reaction score
76
Location
Baton Rouge
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. It's been about a month since I set up my JBJ 45 AIO and I'm starting to feel like I'm not doing something right. In short, I started having issues this week. My tank has been really foggy (bacterial bloom?). I've had plenty of freshwater tanks, and none have had a bacterial bloom last this long, and I'm worried I'm not doing something right. Also this week I added some margarita snails (already had some asst hermits (blue-leg, scarlet reef, and left-handed), 2x ruby mithrax crab, tuxedo urchin, and a handful of trochus snails). The day I added them I started losing snails. It's like they just gave up, like they fell on their backs suddenly and haven't made any attempt to right themselves. Levels are: NH3 0; NO2 0; NO3 0; pH n/a; Ca 410; Salinity 1.025 (w/ ATO); Alk 7.7; Mg n/a. For filtration I'm running what comes stock+ChemiPure Blue+Seachem Purigen. What am I doing wrong? Can add photos of foggy tank if needed. Oh, and forgot to add that besides new tank diatoms I also have bryopsis suddenly.
 
Your tank is to new to run Chemipure and purigen. You should have an idea of how your ph and Mag is doing. Also I don’t believe your tank is cycled enough to add all this inverts unless you started having your lights on and your beginning to see algea
 
Your tank is to new to run Chemipure and purigen. You should have an idea of how your ph and Mag is doing. Also I don’t believe your tank is cycled enough to add all this inverts unless you started having your lights on and your beginning to see algea
Thanks for the reply. I am running 2x AI Prime and have plenty of diatom for the clean up crew to eat. Forgot to mention I have 2x Skunk Clowns and 1x Yellow-spotted Scorpion in the tank as well. And lots and lots of pods (seeded with Tigger-Pods). pH last measured was around 8.0ish but I'll have to check in the morning. Any recommendations for a Mag test? Salifert vs Red Sea?
 
Your tank is to new to run Chemipure and purigen. You should have an idea of how your ph and Mag is doing. Also I don’t believe your tank is cycled enough to add all this inverts unless you started having your lights on and your beginning to see algea
And also, what do you mean its too new to run chemipure and purigen? Are they removing stuff too soon?
 
I use aqua forest, I hear good things about the salifert test kits. A lot of the clean up crews eat green algea. There are specific clean up crew for diatoms
 
As stated I wouldn’t run anything until you need to. A Innovative marine 10 watt UV will fit in the back section and knock out the bacterial bloom
 
Yes it’s removing stuff to soon, you want to build a biome in your tank to start stabilizing itself
 
As stated I wouldn’t run anything until you need to. A Innovative marine 10 watt UV will fit in the back section and knock out the bacterial bloom
I'm mainly concerned with aerosols from my roommates getting into the tank, which is why I am running chemical filtration this early. I have also never heard of not adding chem. filtration in the early stage of a reef tank, so that's new to me. I'll grab a UV sterilizer tomorrow
 
I agree with the other recommendations. You don't need lights on for first 4 months either to let your biodiversity build. Most of your cleaner crew probably won't survive either because the tank is to new and not suitable for their nutrition needs.
 
I'm mainly concerned with aerosols from my roommates getting into the tank, which is why I am running chemical filtration this early. I have also never heard of not adding chem. filtration in the early stage of a reef tank, so that's new to me. I'll grab a UV sterilizer tomorrow
Just chemipure blue or carbon is necessary for this. Purigen is just gonna starve the phosphate you need to feed your CUC and early bacterial diversity. Wait on purigen until you get a legit GHA algae bloom that looks downright ugly or you test phosphates well above 0.10ppm.

Margaritas snails can't right themselves if they get on their back. Trochus can.

You don't want a UV this early. It will reduce your diversity before it has a chance to settle on surfaces.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top