New to AIO-- IM nuvo 15 journal!

bedbuggie

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 12, 2023
Messages
22
Reaction score
14
Location
atlanta
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have upgraded my 3 gallon pico to a 15 gallon AIO and I am a bit confused with proper water level, especially in the back compartment, IM said in the guidebook to keep the water level below the shortest baffle-- but that leaves so much space in the back, is that normal? The pump works and my heater is submerged, but it just seems so low. The water fills up each level and then spills into the next in a series of 'waterfalls'. I have no experience with AIO back compartments.

IMG_7949.jpeg IMG_7950.jpeg IMG_7955.jpeg
 
You want a small waterfall into the rear pump chamber. So keep filling it up until the return chamber is 0.5" to 1" below the adjacent chamber(s).
okay, gotcha! that's how i have it. just wasn't expecting the back chamber to
be so much air! either way everything seems to be in working order. my hermits and cerith seem to be enjoying their new real estate. my goni and gorgonian seem a little bit ticked, but i can't tell why. though they have been known to pout after water changes-- and this was a bit more than a water change! one thing i am already enjoying is the minimal impact of evaporation! in my 3 gallon, it could easily evaporate an inch in a day!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7941.jpeg
    IMG_7941.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 133
ALSO! I am going to be upgrading the lighting as my 50$ amazon led is not giving what I need in this new tank, anyone have solid suggestions for a im nuvo 15? i doubt ill have any sps, perhaps some "easy" sps down the road.
 
I can’t quite tell from your photo but are you using the BOTTOM of the lowest baffle?

The water line should be just below the TOP of the lowest baffle. The water should only fall a half inch of so into the big middle chamber :)
 
I can’t quite tell from your photo but are you using the BOTTOM of the lowest baffle?

The water line should be just below the TOP of the lowest baffle. The water should only fall a half inch of so into the big middle chamber :)
the waterfall into the chamber with the pump is very short, probably no more than an inch. Are these photos better?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_7956.jpeg
    IMG_7956.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 134
In my 3 AiO tanks, I only let the water fall about 1/4" into the return pump chamber. The less it falls, the quieter it is. Heaters I always put in one of the constant chambers (would be the middle chamber on your tank) so there is never a chance of it being dry. Any ATO sensor needs to go in the return pump chamber, as that's the only place the water level should ever change.

As for lights, a single AI Prime would be all you would need to grow just about anything in that tank. Even SPS if you decide you want to later.
 
In my 3 AiO tanks, I only let the water fall about 1/4" into the return pump chamber. The less it falls, the quieter it is. Heaters I always put in one of the constant chambers (would be the middle chamber on your tank) so there is never a chance of it being dry. Any ATO sensor needs to go in the return pump chamber, as that's the only place the water level should ever change.

As for lights, a single AI Prime would be all you would need to grow just about anything in that tank. Even SPS if you decide you want to later.
alright, that makes a lot of sense. i had the heater in the middle compartment already, lucky!

i was afraid someone would say AI prime..! or Kessil... I can't really shell out that much money on a light right now. I think I may get a hipagero aquaknight, seen some darn good PAR readings in youtube vids, especially for a 70$ light! Only because my tank has a 15" depth, any deeper and the par would be much worse. I think the par fall off is much worse after 24".
 
look on facebook marketplace or offerup. Bought one of my primes for $125 and before that i had a 30w nicrew i bought for $35 that is currently growing out my nems
 
look on facebook marketplace or offerup. Bought one of my primes for $125 and before that i had a 30w nicrew i bought for $35 that is currently growing out my nems
the nicrew hyper reef 30w? it's in the same price range as the hipagero, so i would be interested if you think it's worth it. do you happen to know what par levels you get with it, or a link to any tests?
 
the nicrew hyper reef 30w? it's in the same price range as the hipagero, so i would be interested if you think it's worth it. do you happen to know what par levels you get with it, or a link to any tests?
not sure exactly, i can say my anemones are doing well with it. i’ll post the link keep in mind i bought it second hand for 35. there are plenty of cheap lights out there, imo invest in a prime and never have to think about it again. like i said as well plenty of second hand options even on this site

 
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top