New to coral.. VERY PARANOID

Thank you! I’m actually considering trying zoas on the glass. I’ve tried cyphastria and lepto and monti, but they just never really took off…. With exception of a monti cap. That did very well and I am currently trying the green monti cap again.
Zoas would look awesome!
 
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light from the top. May add monti cap up high later on and see how it goes off of the glass.
PXL_20230529_064957957.jpg
 
So pretty! It adds so much colour to the tank. You have some beautiful corals!
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light once the cyphestrea takes the bottom I may put something that can handle more light on the top half.
PXL_20230529_064957957.jpg
 
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light from the top. May add monti cap up high later on and see how it goes off of the glass.
PXL_20230529_064957957.jpg
Nice! I’m sure high light was my biggest issue when trying cyphastria. The monti cap did very well but will shade anything below it obviously. Mine grew upwards quite a bit before it started forming plates. About the time that started, I upgraded tanks, and it just broke apart trying to remove it. I was able to save a few pieces to try again though, and now have a purple one to go next to it and want a red also. Hopefully they can grow into each other for a cool color mesh.
IMG_3522.jpeg
 
Nice! I’m sure high light was my biggest issue when trying cyphastria. The monti cap did very well but will shade anything below it obviously. Mine grew upwards quite a bit before it started forming plates. About the time that started, I upgraded tanks, and it just broke apart trying to remove it. I was able to save a few pieces to try again though, and now have a purple one to go next to it and want a red also. Hopefully they can grow into each other for a cool color mesh.
IMG_3522.jpeg
Gorgeous tank by the way. How wide you get the cap to stick to the back? I was thinking about using a sacrificial magnetic frag rack for a single plug.
 
Gorgeous tank by the way. How wide you get the cap to stick to the back? I was thinking about using a sacrificial magnetic frag rack for a single plug.
How did I? I’m assuming that’s what you meant. I use the sandwich method of superglue/epoxy/superglue. Some stick once and stay. The monti cap and a couple others were like that… but a couple other frags seemed to get knocked off every couple of days. Once it encrusts onto the glass though, it’s there for good it seems.

And thank you! That tank was really starting to find its groove about the same time I upgraded tanks.
 
Another low light option is cyphestrea. My tank is murky because I'm doing some maintenance. But same story, place a frag against the back glass and let it grow.

This is about as big around as a baseball. Mine is growing down because it's got quite a bit of light once the cyphestrea takes the bottom I may put something that can handle more light on the top half.
PXL_20230529_064957957.jpg
I’ve seen people cover skulls with this coral. Looks pretty cool!
 
I’ve seen people cover skulls with this coral. Looks pretty cool!
It does. I'm not much of a skulls kind of guy. But it is neat looking. Cyphestrea grows like a weed if conditions are correct and I don't find it to be that picky either.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top