Hey guys and gals!
I just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I am new to the hobby, but I have been wanting a saltwater aquarium most of my life. I came into a bit of money and decided now would be the best time to start. I found a 40g breeder at petco (dollar a gallon sale) and I bought a 20L to use for my sump/ refugium. After doing so research I noticed that most of you recommend a larger tank size. I would not have a problem jumping to a larger size if it were a matter of a few extra dollars, but I want to get the "best" equipment possible to minimize my problems.
So far I have decided to get (for my 40g breeder)
Neptune Apex controller w/ ph probe
rapidled.com DIY LED lights
vortech mp10
Reef octopus 4" skimmer
Eheim Universal pump 1260 or 1262
a couple of Eheim Jager 125w heaters
a 5 stage ro/di filter system
and a few extras like a reactor, dry rock, sand etc
My goal is to have a clown/ anemone
yellow watchman goby/ candy cane pistol
orchid dotty back
and eventually a green mandarin after a year or so
My question is this: Should I just fork up the extra money and get the 65g rimless I really want? It will cost me about a 1000 dollars more becuase I would have to upgrade the lights to a larger size and the wavemaker to a MP40
and, of course, the extra sand and rock. I want a deep sand bed for the goby and pistol and would love a flame angel to add to my stock list if I were to get the larger aquarium.
Is there any other pieces of equipment you recommend I swtich out or I have not included?
Thanks in advance for any advice you give!!!
I just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I am new to the hobby, but I have been wanting a saltwater aquarium most of my life. I came into a bit of money and decided now would be the best time to start. I found a 40g breeder at petco (dollar a gallon sale) and I bought a 20L to use for my sump/ refugium. After doing so research I noticed that most of you recommend a larger tank size. I would not have a problem jumping to a larger size if it were a matter of a few extra dollars, but I want to get the "best" equipment possible to minimize my problems.
So far I have decided to get (for my 40g breeder)
Neptune Apex controller w/ ph probe
rapidled.com DIY LED lights
vortech mp10
Reef octopus 4" skimmer
Eheim Universal pump 1260 or 1262
a couple of Eheim Jager 125w heaters
a 5 stage ro/di filter system
and a few extras like a reactor, dry rock, sand etc
My goal is to have a clown/ anemone
yellow watchman goby/ candy cane pistol
orchid dotty back
and eventually a green mandarin after a year or so
My question is this: Should I just fork up the extra money and get the 65g rimless I really want? It will cost me about a 1000 dollars more becuase I would have to upgrade the lights to a larger size and the wavemaker to a MP40
and, of course, the extra sand and rock. I want a deep sand bed for the goby and pistol and would love a flame angel to add to my stock list if I were to get the larger aquarium.
Is there any other pieces of equipment you recommend I swtich out or I have not included?
Thanks in advance for any advice you give!!!



