New to R2R-Not to Reefing

JRFReef65

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 11, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
23
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my intro: I started my first reef tank in 2001, which was a 29 gal. running on a canister filter. It was very successful housing 4-5 fish, live rock, and a verity of corals. In 2003 I started another Tank, a 65 gal. with a sump and skimmer. I kept both tanks running until 2006 and then took everything out of the 29 gal. and added it to the 65 gal. During this time line up to January 2020, I had never had any issues with any sick fish, wacky water conditions, or algae problems. I actually have only performed weekly 10% water changes never going past 8 days for almost 20 years. Late last year I lost two of my original fish (assuming age related).
Everything went downhill since January 2020! I decided to try something new, I was going to order a few new fish online and have them overnighted ( not sure if it would be appropriate to name the vendor). Anyway the fish arrived the next day at 10:00 am ; being very excited, I floated the bags and slowly removed some water and then added the DT water, repeating this over a four hour period (exactly!!! mistake number 1). With the lights off and not examining as closely as I should have, I added the five fish to the aquarium. That night I recognize two of them were not right, yes it was ICK!!!! The next day I tried to remove the two, but one had died and the other was close to death (trashed). After two weeks, two of my original fish died and another getting sick. (This is what led me to start searching online for help and found Reef2Reef with all the expert advice, so I joined). I used the posting to learn how to set up a QT and all the recommended medications. After two months of a fish-less DT and maintaining a QT, I added everything back into the DT. About 3 weeks ago I went to a reputable LFS to to get a couple new fish (Kole Eye Tang and Yellow Hawaiian Tang that was housed in copper, with an UV system). I put them in the the DT tank and now the Kole Eye Tang is sick (ready to give up!). Currently doing a food soak with garlic extreme and Zoecon. Kole Eye Tang started swimming out in the tank today and is looking better (my tank won’t be though). I also have reset-up the QT downstairs, if I am able to get him out he will go there with a freshwater dip. Almost 20 years of successful reefing, but 0 experienced dealing with problems!!!! I will post later to share the outcome.
 
Welcome to R2R!!! I'm sure others will jump in soon with input!

Clownfish.gif
 
Welcome! Happy to have you join us. Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. Sometimes it's easy, especially after a long run of successes, in this hobby to get complacent and skip a QT or dip once in a while. It's a mistake that you tend not to make again.
Welcome w fish.gif
 
Welcome to R2R
Sorry about your losses. :(

The livestock supply lines are a mess of parasites and disease. It's Russian Roulette to trust any vendor these days. Claims of QTing and your example of "housing" in copper can mean so many things to so many people they are pretty much useless. There is rampant treating of fish with sub-therapeutic levels of copper just to keep fish alive long enough to sell and keep looking relatively good is ridiculously common. Those rapid fish deaths "could" have been from those conditions. The sub-therapeutic treatments wear off rather quickly and the the parasites and or diseases come roaring back.

The only QT you can truly trust is your own.

We are all here to help.
 
For my intro: I started my first reef tank in 2001, which was a 29 gal. running on a canister filter. It was very successful housing 4-5 fish, live rock, and a verity of corals. In 2003 I started another Tank, a 65 gal. with a sump and skimmer. I kept both tanks running until 2006 and then took everything out of the 29 gal. and added it to the 65 gal. During this time line up to January 2020, I had never had any issues with any sick fish, wacky water conditions, or algae problems. I actually have only performed weekly 10% water changes never going past 8 days for almost 20 years. Late last year I lost two of my original fish (assuming age related).
Everything went downhill since January 2020! I decided to try something new, I was going to order a few new fish online and have them overnighted ( not sure if it would be appropriate to name the vendor). Anyway the fish arrived the next day at 10:00 am ; being very excited, I floated the bags and slowly removed some water and then added the DT water, repeating this over a four hour period (exactly!!! mistake number 1). With the lights off and not examining as closely as I should have, I added the five fish to the aquarium. That night I recognize two of them were not right, yes it was ICK!!!! The next day I tried to remove the two, but one had died and the other was close to death (trashed). After two weeks, two of my original fish died and another getting sick. (This is what led me to start searching online for help and found Reef2Reef with all the expert advice, so I joined). I used the posting to learn how to set up a QT and all the recommended medications. After two months of a fish-less DT and maintaining a QT, I added everything back into the DT. About 3 weeks ago I went to a reputable LFS to to get a couple new fish (Kole Eye Tang and Yellow Hawaiian Tang that was housed in copper, with an UV system). I put them in the the DT tank and now the Kole Eye Tang is sick (ready to give up!). Currently doing a food soak with garlic extreme and Zoecon. Kole Eye Tang started swimming out in the tank today and is looking better (my tank won’t be though). I also have reset-up the QT downstairs, if I am able to get him out he will go there with a freshwater dip. Almost 20 years of successful reefing, but 0 experienced dealing with problems!!!! I will post later to share the outcome.
Welcome! It's stories like this that have me committed to running everything thru a QT process before it hits my tank. Lots of good ppl with experience that can help you here for certain. Good luck and hope you get your issues sorted out quick!
 
Welcome to R2R!!! That sucks, I agree with what Big G said “The only QT you can truly trust is your own.” Well hopefully the many people here can help you through on what to do!
 
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
best wishes :)
 
Welcome to R2R! Thank you for sharing, I’m sorry to hear about your fish. :(. The community here can help. I recommend creating a new thread in the fish discussion forum. copy and paste Your info above and add a picture and water quality if possible.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top