New to reactors and picked this gem up, need o ring and ph probe holder cap threaded thing?

Rookums Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
225
Reaction score
149
Location
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up last year, now I'm about ready for it. Where the probe goes isn't a complete holder as I've seen on other reactors? Will I need a new probe? New O ring for lid although it seems in decent shape? Some lines and a pump for water and affluent is all I should need?

20220911_192926.jpg
 
Last edited:
The pH probe isn't supposed to dry out so I believe you will need to replace that. The port in the top of the lid for the probe will also need to be replaced. I don't recall who has these for sale, perhaps BRS or ?

Some people set these up without a pH probe, just trickling water through the reactor at a constant rate and measuring the effluent to get that near or above 20dKh. They let it run for a day, measure the tank dKh again and increase or decrease flow to replace what the tank critters are using. Search "The other way to run a calcium reactor" it's was posted on the web as a video a few years ago.
 
I got a new probe holder from coralvue, fits perfectly. Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanna replace the regulator because it isn't wanting to come undone from the solenoid, I need the compression fitting nut in all reality but I can't get them apart!
 

Attachments

  • 20220925_122826.jpg
    20220925_122826.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 50
Try a little heat to get it to come loose, but be careful, there are a lot of parts close that won't like the heat.
 
I got a new probe holder from coralvue, fits perfectly. Now I'm trying to figure out if I wanna replace the regulator because it isn't wanting to come undone from the solenoid, I need the compression fitting nut in all reality but I can't get them apart!
How are you trying to seperate them?
A wrench on the needle valve and a wrench on the solenoid should do it.
Is the solenoid not working? The compression nut should be an easy and cheap find.
 
Last edited:
How are you trying to seperate them?
A wrench on the needle valve and a wrench on the solenoid should do it.
Is the solenoid not working? The compression nut should be an easy and cheap find.
Haven't even plugged it in to check, I just don't have the compression nut for the needle valve and yes I have a wrench on each, nada so far!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top