New to saltwater Aquariums

There are many ways to set up a tank. You would drill holes in a tank if you have an overflow and a sump. Here's another example: I have a 120 gal that overflows into a sump through a filter sock. All the equipment for this tank is in the sump or cabinet. The equipment is a skimmer, heater, filter sock, return pump, an auto top off, a carbon reactor, and a kalkwasser reactor. The only equipment in the tank are two wavemaker pumps. It has an eight bulb T5.

This tank is also a very simple set up. Tanks can get very elaborate with equipment - dosing pumps, calcium reactors, biopellet reactors, etc., etc.

Yeah I've came to notice that. There ARE 100's of ways to set one up.
So I can go get the heater, skimmer, powerhead, live rock, lights, saltwater, and sand, and be able to start setting up? Basically, I'm doing somewhat similar to a freshwater tank, fish only... saltwater though. Just with quite a few tweaks. So I can start my saltwater dream.
So with those items said above, ill be about ready to go?
 
..Cool I just got a RED SEA 30g with rock and water from a friendf who has a aquarium store here in Temecula Ca. Another of his customers had to move. I paid 4400 and he helped deliver it. Really easy to set up. Red Sea tanks are easy and have everything self contained. I inherited a reef tank in '08 while working in Ak for a year. This is so much easier. Almost a no brainer. It had been in his store for 4 weeks and been running without anything but the live rock. All the inverts and fish were long gone to other people. I have had it in my room for 2 weeks..have some hermits and a big ol' snail and another medium snail. He gave me some green polips and a Kenya Tree. All in "full bloom" I have replaced the lights that came with the hood with a LED strip with white and blue LEDs.. looks cool and I just added some BlueGreen chormis and all is well. Have fun and I suggest wherever you live...find a established store...get to know the owner and they will be happy to help you. The tank I got for $400 sells new for $1000 then there's all the sqnd...rock etc etc so look around..you'll ber glad to did. Tanks like these are sooo cool! colors of the fish and inverts are killer cool...don'tcha think
jdr
 
Please, please. Don't use a Filter on your saltwater tank. The rock us your filtering system. Filters are for fresh water hobbiest. Lol
 
I found that out... after years of freshwater, I found that live rock IS your filter.
 
It is hard to let go of the concept of filters. It just seems normal to have one. LFS love to sell equipment that we don't need.
 
Oh I know... I found out tgat my pet store was aching to sell me things that I didn't need!... even for my water dragon and bearded dragon... they were trying to sell me a giant filter for about 250 nd I found out I didn't need it! And said I needed "special" lighting for just a basic FOWLR setup.
 
Just a quick question... if I have a powerhead... do I need an air pump for my tank? Stupid Q I kno
 
As stated before...no air pumps on saltwater tanks....
You need a powerhead or 2 depending on the gph rating...
 
Good job. Keep informed on what you need, before you go to LFS. Watch out for spontaneous purchases.
 
Okay, so I'm setting out on buying these items and ill be good to setup of my 30 gallon.
1or2 powerheads
Live rock
Sand
Heater
Light
And then cycle for a while, and add a fish or 3.
Ready to go correct?
I read alot of these dead tired sumtimes lol.
 
There is so many beautiful fish. Any idea on what you want to put in there?
 
Well my wife wanted a seahorse, but I don't want to waste the space on just a seahorse, so I'm looking for some blue tangs and possibly some zebra fish. Id love clownfish but you can't have them with no corral I believe?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top