New to the site, not to Reef Keeping..

Manners

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 25, 2012
Messages
160
Reaction score
5
Location
Central Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

My name is Ian, I live in Ocala, FL! I am just getting back into the hobby now that I'm medically retired from the Army and settled down! Before I was in the Army I had a 40 breeder, 180, and a 75 gallon. All with coral and fish.

I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years, so things have changed some but I'm starting fresh! I picked up a 65 gallon reef ready tank, stand, sump and a metal halide + PC lighting. I found a great local shop and have started building up all of the stuff I will need. So far I have in all of my egg crate, sand, and base rock.

A few of my questions:

1.) My tank is sadly braced, and the metal halide is OF COURSE positioned right in the middle. What is the process like replacing this brace with a clear brace so there isn't a huge shadow right down the middle of my tank?

2.) I have put about 35 pounds of dry rock in the tank so far, and I'm LOVING the aquascape so far. Do I necessarily have to add more?

My future plans include a skimmer, possibly a MP-10 Ecotech pump, a stronger return pump, then all of my live stock. Mainly softies, with a select few SPS.


wmm70y.jpg


b5s7eg.jpg


o8wjg9.jpg




Great to be here guys!


Thanks!
 
Hello Ian and welcome to r2r, can see what you are talking about the shadow from the brace. Hopefully someone will be able to suggest something, if you don't get too many answers here on this thread you can always post a thread in the diy section ;) Good luck and hope to see a build thread on your tank :D
 
Hello and welcome. You don't have to add more to thedisplay but you could consider adding some to your sump to give you a littlemore filtration help. I sure can understand not doing a tank while in the Army.I myself am still in and setting up a new tank just to take it back down every2 to 3 years can get a little frustrating but you do get to get alot of experience.Good luck with the new build.
 
Hi there!! Welcome back to the hobby and to R2R!! Glad to have you aboard!! Great lookin' tank you got there!! If there is anything you need help with, don't be afraid to post your questions!! See ya' around!!
 
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!
 
Welcome. I can't be of any help with the brace, but 35 lbs sounds ok to me in your dt. I'm running 150 lbs in a 240 and it looks bare, but I plan on adding more soon.

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo
 
Welcome to R2R.

Removing and replacing the brace can be done. I saw someone on here do the same thing and they used nylon screws to reattatch the new brace.

I also think you should be good with that amount of live rock. I would put the skimmer as next on your list though. Having a good skimmer can lengthen the time between water changes

bob
 
I would add some more LR at leat to your sump. I always went with the "pound per gallon" per gallon rule. That could be old school thinking though... lol Not sure on how you need to handel that brace though..
 
I've never had a reef ready tank, so putting a skimmer in a sump is new to me. I've had a hang on the back overflow into a sump, but still had a hang on the back skimmer. My sump has NO baffles as of yet, and I may just buy a 20 long to make into a sump as I don't like this one very much.


If I put live rock in the fuge, with chaeto... Do I have to have a light down there? If so, a small power compact unit would work well right? Is there a light cycle there? 12-14 hours?


Thanks guys!
 
I've never had a reef ready tank, so putting a skimmer in a sump is new to me. I've had a hang on the back overflow into a sump, but still had a hang on the back skimmer. My sump has NO baffles as of yet, and I may just buy a 20 long to make into a sump as I don't like this one very much.


If I put live rock in the fuge, with chaeto... Do I have to have a light down there? If so, a small power compact unit would work well right? Is there a light cycle there? 12-14 hours?


Thanks guys!

Usually a skimmer in the sump hides the appearance of more equipment and allows for a larger skimmer. I've used multiple sumps without baffles, I just found a food grade container and adjusted it to my heigh requirements of the skimmer. This all was because I installed the sump before adding baffles (cart before the horse, lol) many years ago. IMO, building the sump you really want is the best. If your putting LR and chaeto, a light would be necessary to grow the chaeto and benefit from it. Usually the light cycle is opposite of your DT light cycle.

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo
 
Usually a skimmer in the sump hides the appearance of more equipment and allows for a larger skimmer. I've used multiple sumps without baffles, I just found a food grade container and adjusted it to my heigh requirements of the skimmer. This all was because I installed the sump before adding baffles (cart before the horse, lol) many years ago. IMO, building the sump you really want is the best. If your putting LR and chaeto, a light would be necessary to grow the chaeto and benefit from it. Usually the light cycle is opposite of your DT light cycle.

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo

Sounds like a good idea.. Does Lowes sell arcylic sheets? I would just have to find the skimmer I like and that would be a good fit. I just get so nervous working under the stand for some reason lol, it's such a small working space!!!!!!!!
 
Sounds like a good idea.. Does Lowes sell arcylic sheets? I would just have to find the skimmer I like and that would be a good fit. I just get so nervous working under the stand for some reason lol, it's such a small working space!!!!!!!!

Yes either HD or Lowes, or there might be a local glass/acrylic shop local that can cut pieces to your liking. My local glass shop had ¼ panels for my 55 sump pretty cheap, but that was glass. I know all to well about working in small spaces!!! One of my 55 setups had 10 inch wide doors and some might say I'm big enough to eat hay!!! Just getting the skimmer cup out was a pain. Maybe that's why my 240 stand is 36 inches tall and is not skinned yet!

Country boy using tapatalk on a HTC Evo
 
This weekend I will be getting my RO/DI unit, and all the salt I need.


Also, last night I picked up a 5 gallon tank, with some accessories for my mantis tank!!! Stoked! :xd:
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top