Newbie questions regarding my VorTech mp10 and 40

Endgame_HS

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 24, 2017
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 135g tank I got used at a local shop. They installed and recommended all the things needed.

I just bought a mp10 and 40 , using them on each side. I used the calculator to determine what I needed but now wondering if I should have got 2 of the 40s? So far all is good, my first 2 test clown fish have been alive and thriving for their first week. I want to start slowly adding more fish and coral.

Attached is a picture of my tank.. I don’t like the 2 massive glass walls in the middle for the filtering but to late to change now !!

86E113D3-26E9-4E9D-8F1E-38D55387B0C6.jpeg
 
Welcome to R2R! That's a pretty spiffy looking tank so far!

I do believe there is a crossover range at the top of the MP10's power range and the bottom of the MP40's so technically you could get them to push a similar amount of water. They will definitely suit your needs for now but you may want to get another MP40 when you start adding corals. The main goal of a powerhead is to create flow and prevent dead zones where there is little to no flow and detritus settles there instead of making its way to your filter. However, right now you don't have too many things creating detritus besides too little clowns and in a system as big as yours they aren't going to have too big of an impact so you can get away with the powerhead combo you have now.

If they are still new in-box, then I would maybe consider returning the MP10 and getting another MP40, but if not I wouldn't sweat it for now. Those powerheads hold their value remarkably well too, so if you use it for a while and then sell it to get money for a MP40, you will most likely get most of your money back and have a good portion of the price of a new MP40.
 
Thank you for the reply! I did just buy it so I don’t see why I couldn’t return.

Wondering if I should put the 10 in the back middle and another 40 where the 10 was.. my thinking is that those big filter tanks that stick out might be blocking flow to the middle back area? Now sure on that one..
 
You might have better luck putting a small Tunze or Hydor powerhead back there that will keep those areas well covered with flow, the tunze's and hydor's have a lot of flexibility in their mounts that will allow you to point it in just about any direction you want. They're also very reliable and more affordable than the ecotechs.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top